Question

Honor Student
psychkiller
Message 1 of 3 (105 Views)
Accepted Solution

RAM Question for DV6-6117dx

I wanted to update the RAM of my laptop, the description say I can go as high as 16GB so I'm looking to update to it. Can anyone tell if this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Corsair+-+Vengeance+2-Pack+16GB+1.6GHz+DDR3+SoDIMM+Laptop+Memory+Kit/503... would work on my laptop? if not can anyone tell me which would work.

I don't know if this info would help but I got off a software that scans the hardware I have installed (I've forgotten what software it was cause I've saved this info a few months ago)

Memory:

DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-8500

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Slots: 2
Each memory slot can hold DDR3 PC3-10600, DDR3 PC3-8500 with a maximum of 4GB per slot.*
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found here.

Memory or DRAM is the 'working' memory of the computer. It's used to store data for programs (sequences of instructions) on a temporary basi

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 3 (96 Views)

Re: RAM Question for DV6-6117dx

Hi,

Yes, you can upgrade to 16Gb of RAM. Windows 32 bit version can not address over 4Gb therefore to be able to utilise/uyilize 16Gb of RAM you need to run Windows 64bit version. You can buy RAM from the following reliable vendor or use the info, including price, to buy elsewhere:

http://www.crucial.com/upgrade/HP+-+Compaq-memory/Pavilion+DV6+Series/Pavilion+dv6-6117dx-upgrades.h...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
psychkiller
Message 3 of 3 (91 Views)

Re: RAM Question for DV6-6117dx

Thank you so much!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation