Question

Student
duckhiem69vn
Message 1 of 18 (43,954 Views)

Remove the BIOS password for laptop HP Compaq 6520s

Hello everybody!

Notebook is my HP Compaq 6520s. I set the BIOS password, but now I have forgotten it. How can I remove the password now?

Thanks everyone!

Master's Graduate
bwolper
Message 2 of 18 (43,933 Views)

Re: Remove the BIOS password for laptop HP Compaq 6520s

Resetting the password without knowing it can be difficult.  There are some things you can try.

I have been told that removing the CMOS battery for about fifteen minutes or so and then reseating it might work. This would bring the password to the factory default.  I must say that I have not heard this work on a laptop.

If you do the battery option, sometimes there is a jumper that needs to be reset in order to put the password to the factory default (which is usually no password).

You might want to do a search on recovering BIOS password.  You'll find some articles that will suggest some possible back door passwords depending on what brand of BIOS  you have.

I have also heard that updating the BIOS firmware will leave the password to the factory default.

I have an HP ze4400 that has the same problem, unknown BIOS password.  I have tried all of these to no avail.  When I tried to update my BIOS, I must have done it wrong or used the wrong update because it destroyed my mother board.

Maybe one of them will work for you.

Let us know.

In this forum, clicking on Kudos is a great way of saying thanks.  :smileywink:

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 3 of 18 (43,758 Views)

Hi,

Check service documentation for Your model here (page 34).

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
Honor Student
jhone88
Message 4 of 18 (41,159 Views)

[ Edited ]

This information is intended for experienced users. It is not intended for basic users, hackers, or computer thieves. Please do not try any of following procedures if you are not familiar with computer hardware. I'll not be responsible for the use or misuse of this information, including personal injury, loss of data or hardware damage. So use it at your own risk.

A. By Using the Motherboard Jumper:

In most motherboards CMOS battery is soldered, which makes it difficult to remove the battery. In this case we use another method.

Almost all motherboards contain a jumper that can clear all CMOS settings along with the BIOS password. The location of this jumper varies depending upon the motherboard brand. You should read your motherboard manual to check its location. If you don't have the manual then look for the jumpers near the CMOS battery. Most of the manufacturer label the jumper as CLR, CLEAR, CLEAR CMOS, etc.

When you find the jumper, look carefully.  There will be 3 pins and the jumper will be joining the center pin to either left or right pin. What you need to do, is remove the jumper and join the center pin to the opposite pin. e.g. if the jumper joins center pin to left pin, then remove it and join center pin to right pin. Now wait for a few seconds and then again remove the jumper and join the center pin to left pin.

Make sure to turn the PC off before opening the cabinet and resetting the jumper.

B. By Using Software:

I have found that BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is the most effective.:
BIOS/CMOS Password Recovery Tool is a program that works instantly to remove any lost or forgotten BIOS/CMOS password. Simply boot your PC to DOS and execute the program, and get access to forgotten BIOS/CMOS passwords in just seconds

[text removed]

Honor Student
woodcarver_52
Message 5 of 18 (40,795 Views)

Re: Remove the BIOS password for laptop HP Compact pass worded

I do not know what decade the last replier is from but is most apparent that they can not read the written word... the first person said, that they had a laptop not a desktop...  Most laptops that are under eight years old do not have pins to reset the bios...    Everything that the replier stated might work on a desktop computer to reset the password.. but since laptops are to easy to steal the companies have made it more difficult to enter the bios and change things when they are password... There are three ways to remove the forgotten password    1 remember it    2 call Hp to get the backdoor password  3  replace the motherboard.. that is it... most of the bios clearing programs are made for dos and will not work with windows above windows 98... xp vista and 7 are NT and will not allow access to the bios..........

Student
truck4511
Message 6 of 18 (38,951 Views)

Forget calling HP as they will NOT help you if your laptop is out of warranty. I bought a hp vie E-Bay and tried to get the backdoor password and all they said was they do NOT support that computer anymore, you would have to take it to a local hp service center to get it changed, & the one near me that would be $100.00 out of pocket . So I have taken a stand that hp is just not worth the trouble, for they will not help in this type of problem

Provost
Huffer
Message 7 of 18 (38,935 Views)

There is not a single laptop manufacturer who would supply you with a password under these circumstances. If they would, the security would be worthless. The big thing to remember is DON'T SET BIOS or POWER-ON PASSWORDS. You do not need them and you risk turning the computer into a doorstop. The only time those passwords make sense is in a corporate IT environment where it is someone's job to manage those passwords.

Honor Student
John38117
Message 8 of 18 (30,720 Views)

Thanks for this response because that poster was really on a "roll" and thought for sure that he/she was helping someone!!!

Tutor
rubyx1
Message 9 of 18 (30,687 Views)

Disconnect the cmos battery (remove clock batery out) wait and insert back the batery... p.s. Bios setings setting becomes the default date and time so the same ... Then you come into the system bios and adjust its settings and the date and EnJoy :smileyhappy:

Student
tusharsharm
Message 10 of 18 (20,312 Views)

i have compaq 420 model leptop and i forgate my bios password so how can i do

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation