Removing hard disk from Presario (2192 Views)
Tutor
bkline
Message 1 of 13 (2,192 Views)
Accepted Solution

Removing hard disk from Presario

How do you get the hard disk out of a Compaq Presario V2670US?  I've got the two screws out of the bay's cover, and I've removed the cover, but the disk itself doesn't seem to want to come out.
Master's Graduate
CorMit
Message 2 of 13 (2,187 Views)

Re: Removing hard disk from Presario

have you taken the screw(s) out of the HDD casing itself ... there should be either 1 or 2 screws holding the HDD down, after they are out slide the HDD off the connector then pull it out.
--------------------------------
Pavilion DV2714CA, Vista Home Premium 32bit(Successfully running Windows XP Pro SP2), Intel T2330 1.60 GHz, Intel Graphics Accelerator X3100, 4GB RAM, 160 GB HDD --Do everyone a favor Post back your results, Resolved or Not - LEAVE KUDOS !
Tutor
bkline
Message 3 of 13 (2,176 Views)

CorMit wrote: have you taken the screw(s) out of the HDD casing itself ... there should be either 1 or 2 screws holding the HDD down, after they are out slide the HDD off the connector then pull it out.
There are no screws accessible on the only surface of the HDD which is exposed with the cover removed in this model.
Intern
ComputerzEast
Message 4 of 13 (2,163 Views)

There should be 2 screws holding the hard drive caddy in place. Look at the opposite end of the caddy from where the hard drive plugs in. There should be two screws just past the hard drive, holding the caddy, not the hard drive itself, to the chassis. They should be within about a quarter of an inch from the corners of the hard drive.
Tutor
bkline
Message 5 of 13 (2,153 Views)

[ Edited ]

ComputerzEast wrote:
There should be 2 screws holding the hard drive caddy in place. Look at the opposite end of the caddy from where the hard drive plugs in. There should be two screws just past the hard drive, holding the caddy, not the hard drive itself, to the chassis. They should be within about a quarter of an inch from the corners of the hard drive.

Thanks for your reply. Here are a couple of close-up photographs of the machine's hard disk drive:

http://picasaweb.google.com/bob.uuca/CompaqV2670USHDD#

As you can see, there are four holes in half-oval posts in the surface which is accessible once the cover has been removed: two lined up at the elbows of the bent arrows (which presumably point in the direction of the coupling pin socket) and two down at the other end of the device. These holes are threaded, but empty. It appears that there are indeed screws coming into these posts from the sides, but these screws are not accessible (the heads of the screws are less than 1 millimeter from the plastic bracket which is flush with the accessible surface of the device on the side closest to the front edge of the laptop, and the other two screw heads are less than 1/2 millimeter from the plastic strut parallel with the other side of the HDD). There are two more screw holes under the tabs with holes near the arrows; that's where I took out the screws which hold the cover in place. The screw hole which you can see at the very corner of the laptop is drilled into a single plastic piece which (with cutouts for the CPU and memory covers) extends across the entire bottom of the computer, which you surely can't be referring to as "the caddy" in your posting.

Looking over the edge at the sides of the laptop (best seen in the second of the two photographs), you can see that there are no holes (with or without screws) whatsover near the HDD on the front surface of the laptop, and the hole around the corner (on what would be the left side of the computer if I were to turn the computer back to its normal position) is the hole for a security lock. The slightly protruding black rectangle approximately a centimeter diagonally from that hole is the ejector button for the PCMCIA device slot.

No other screws in sight. If you look back at the first photograph, you can see that there are a couple of tabs which appear to be coming from the back of the HDD out under a long overhanging plastic rectangular lip. It's tempting to think that without that lip and the tabs, I could lift the back end of the device up above the edge of the laptop, and disconnect it from its coupler. I'm reluctant to try any crowbar-like activities to test this theory without any guidance from someone who has experience with this configuration.

If there really are accessible screws that I'm not seeing, please tell me what magic incantation is required to make them visible.
Message Edited by bkline on 12-16-2008 05:19 PM
Intern
Message 6 of 13 (2,189 Views)

[ Edited ]

try the service media library and follow the provided video :

http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/

or to be more precise : 

http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/results.htm?SID=1131717&MEID=237921FF-CDD6-485B-8C07-6FEB61CE77E0

Message Edited by rushan on 12-16-2008 05:30 PM
-------------------------------
They say a hero'll save us, am not gonna stand here and wait.
Tutor
bkline
Message 7 of 13 (2,142 Views)

Thanks, that did the trick.  I had looked at that page earlier, but - not knowing what "FRU" stood for, I didn't recognize that "FRU Remove/Replace" had the information I needed.

Well done!

Tutor
bkline
Message 8 of 13 (2,139 Views)

Aargh!

Well, I got the drive out, but HP is using a non-standard coupler, so it's not going to do me any good (I'm not going to be able to hook it up to my standard USB connector for 2.5" drives so I can run some diagnostics from another system).

Oh, well, thanks anyway (Rushan, not HP).

Teacher
bkasch
Message 9 of 13 (2,135 Views)

Remove the chassis thats holding the drive and you will be fine to use it in an enclosure. just dont lose the chassis.
Tutor
bkline
Message 10 of 13 (2,121 Views)

bkasch wrote:
Remove the chassis thats holding the drive and you will be fine to use it in an enclosure. just dont lose the chassis.

It's not the chassis that's the problem.  I've added a third photograph to the album for this device, with the chassis removed, and the connector for the 2.5" enclosure right next to it.  As you can see, the connector has the holes for the two rows of pins right next to each other, whereas the two rows of pins on the HDD are offset from each other by two millimeters.  I've used my connector successfully on hard disks pulled from several different laptops.  This is the first laptop disk I've seen whose pins aren't lined up in the standard adjacent two rows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation