Replacing Secondary Hard Drive on an HP Pavilion dv9700 (6318 Views)
Intern
RoadiJeff
Message 1 of 12 (6,318 Views)
Accepted Solution

Replacing Secondary Hard Drive on an HP Pavilion dv9700

I just ordered a replacement hd for my wife's D: data drive for Christmas.  From looking at the online manual and the underside of the notebook I see the two drive bay covers.  My question is how do I know which bay is the C: and which is the D: drive?  Both drives in there right now are the same model and capacity so looking on the label of each one won't help.

While searching through 100 or so previous discussions on replacing the hd on the DV9700 I read something about a possible issue with a larger capacity drive not working in this unit. Perhaps a BIOS update fixed this problem.  I ordered the same Seagate Momentus 7200 rpm SATA 9.5mm height drive that's in it now except for the larger capacity.  The old one is 120GB.  The new one is 750GB.  Does anyone know for sure if this will or will not work in the secondary drive bay?

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 12 (6,306 Views)

Re: Replacing Secondary Hard Drive on an HP Pavilion dv9700

The bays are labeled inside if I recall correctly and the Service Manual shows which is the primary and which the secondary. If all else fails remove one then the other and the one that still boots to Windows is the primary. The received wisdom was you could not use a drive bigger than 200 gigs in the secondary bay but we just had a post here explaining how the user got a 500 gig 7200 rpm drive to work in the secondary bay of a dv9000.

Other dv9000 second hdd post

Manual

I am pretty sure the primary bay is the one with the door butting right up against the memory door.

Intern
RoadiJeff
Message 3 of 12 (6,293 Views)

Huffer,

First, I want to say thank you VERY much for your quick and extremely informative reply.  I was starting to regret having ordered a larger 750GB replacement drive for my wife's notebook for Christmas, thinking that I was wasting my time and that I'd just have to send it back, etc.  Now it looks like there is hope if I follow the fairly easy steps in the install procedure in the link that you provided.

I know the other person installed a 500GB and I'll be installing a 750GB.  However, they are the same Seagate Momentus 7200.4 drives, except for the drive capacity.  I'm pretty sure it'll work if I follow the same steps.  I will post the results on here after Christmas. 

Hmm...I just had a thought as I was typing this.  As soon as the new hd arrives in a few days I could install it, get everything working and transfer the data to the new drive without my wife even knowing about it.  She works different hours than I do so I have over 6 hours each day to tinker with the notebook before she gets home.  There is only 1.3GB of storage space left but she doesn't know that.  On Christmas day I'll have the box for the new hd wrapped and under the tree and when she opens it I'll explain what I did.

Thank you again very much for your help.  Happy Holidays.

Intern
RoadiJeff
Message 4 of 12 (6,284 Views)

In trying to get familiar with what I'll be doing when the new hd arrives I just now removed the old one I'll be replacing.  I wanted to see what type of jumper the install procedure says I have to add to slow the speed down to 1.5Gb/s from 3.0.  I found something interesting when I did this.  The old hd is a Seagate ST9120823AS.  According to the Seagate website the 'AS' on the end means it has a SATA 3.0Gb/s interface.  There are no jumpers on the drive.  From what I read in the install procedure that you provided a link to a 3.0Gb/s interface doesn't work with the dv9700.  Hmm...

I might try and leave off the jumper and see how it goes the first time.  If I run into problems I'll add the jumper to slow it down. 

Provost
Huffer
Message 5 of 12 (6,276 Views)

Not every laptop SATA drive HAS jumpers. The Seagate Momentus drives do. Here is their manual:

Momentus manual

The whole point is you have to jumper the drive to turn it from a 3.0 mbps to a 1.5 mbps drive. Then it will work in the second drive bay, according to the other post. See page 20 of the Seagate manual.

Intern
RoadiJeff
Message 6 of 12 (6,263 Views)

Huffer wrote:

The whole point is you have to jumper the drive to turn it from a 3.0 mbps to a 1.5 mbps drive. Then it will work in the second drive bay, according to the other post. See page 20 of the Seagate manual.

Yes, I guess what I was saying is that the old 120GB drive that's in the second drive bay right now is apparently a 3.0Gb/s interface and it has been working fine for several years.  There are no jumpers currently on the 4 jumper pins so it has not been slowed down to 1.5Gb/s.  Maybe the larger 500+ GB drives run into this problem of having to throttle them down to the slower interface speed.  I'll try it first without the jumper and, if that doesn't work, I now know where to add the jumper to change the speed.

I'll post my results later this week.

Provost
Huffer
Message 7 of 12 (6,242 Views)

Please do. We are very curious to get a second opinion on this. I am also not too sure the limiting jumper is really the key to getting the drive to work.

Intern
RoadiJeff
Message 8 of 12 (6,214 Views)

[ Edited ]

It worked!  I just finished formatting the new 750GB drive and it works perfectly.  I did not have to use any jumpers to throttle down the interface speed to 1.5Gb/sec.  It is flying right along at 3.0Gb/sec.  I would have liked to run a diagnostic on it to see if there were any errors but, as I said in a previous post, this is a Christmas present for my wife and I had to get the old drive back in her laptop before she got home from work.  I finished literally 2 minutes before she got home.

The only hiccup I had was something to do with Vista 64.  It would not let me go into the Device Manager which would have made all this so much easier to create a partition and format the drive.  It just kept giving me error messages, nothing about having to be an administrator like I've encountered in the past when trying to do various things in Vista.  I have administrator privileges but sometimes Vista doesn't recognize that. I don't think that was the case here.

After some Google searching I learned about a command prompt utility included with Vista called DISKPART.  With that I could create a new partition, assign a drive letter, format the drive (that part took over 2 hours) and other things.  There are dozens of things that DISKPART can do.  If someone wants to learn the details I suggest doing a Google search. There are many discussions to be found. Using it while typing in command prompt parameters reminded me of my old MS-DOS days.  Ah, the memories.

Anyhow, the new 750GB drive is running well at 3.0Gb/sec. in my Pavilion dv9700 with Vista 64 Home Premium.  It is a Seagate Momentus 7200RPM, 9.5mm height, part # ST9750420AS.  After the two-hour format finished the My Computer window popped up and showed the drive listed and the 699GB available formatted space.  I did a quick test by copying and pasting a small file from the primary drive to it and then opening the file from the new drive.  Everything works!

Thank you again for all your help.  I don't think I could have finished this without the links you initially provided.  Tomorrow I'm borrowing a fancy $1,500 file transfer gadget from work to transfer everything from the old drive to the new one and I'll be finished except for wrapping the empty box and sticking it under the tree.

Intern
RoadiJeff
Message 9 of 12 (6,176 Views)

Okay, today I borrowed an expensive $1,500 hard drive clone device from work called Echo Plus.  In a little over 40 minutes it transferred 110GB worth of all the files from the old D: data storage hd onto the new one.  I installed the new drive and everything seems to be working just fine.  The My Computer window shows 589GB free out of a total of 698GB formatted capacity.  That'll give my wife some breathing room for her iTunes collection.  She won't know that it has been installed until Christmas morning.  :smileyhappy:

Since the steps I followed to install the new drive were a bit different than the ones in the suggested link in the second message in this thread so I thought I'd include a summary of what I did.

1. I wanted to stay with the same type of drive that has been working in my dv9700 for over two years so I decided on another Seagate Momentus with a larger storage capacity than the two 120GB Momentus drives that it came with.

2. As of this writing the largest capacity Momentus drive that Seagate sells is 750GB so that's what I bought.  Model # ST9750420AS, 3.0Gb/sec interface, 9.5mm height, 7200RPM.  Purchased from Tiger Direct for $99.99 USD.

3. After putting the drive caddy on the new drive I installed it in the second drive bay.  I did not add any jumpers to slow down the 3.0Gb/sec interface and I happily found out that I did not need to.

4. As the computer was powering up I hit F10 to go into the setup and ran a quick hard drive diagnostic test to see that everything was okay to this point.  It passed.

5. I am running Vista 64 Home Premium. After it finished booting to the Windows desktop I took a quick look in My Computer to see if it showed the new drive there yet.  It didn't.

6. Due to the problems I was having with Device Manager that I mentioned in a previous post I used the DISKPART utility to partition and format the drive.  DISKPART is a free command line utility that is included with Vista.

7. To access DISKPART I went to All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.  RIGHT click on the Command Prompt in the list and select 'Run as administrator'.

8. Once you get to the actual command prompt type DISKPART.  There are many things this utility can do and if you type HELP or the wrong command it will show you the list.  Do a Google search for many good discussions about this utility to learn more.

9. Rather than detailing the steps just click on this link: Create a Partition  It is a good Microsoft article on how to do it.  Caution:  Be SURE that the correct disk that you want to create the partition on is selected because it does not give you any warning once you type the command and press ENTER.  You can easily wipe out your boot drive if you're not careful. If you do not specify the partition size DISKPART will use all available drive space and create one large partition.

10. Next, assign a drive letter to it with the ASSIGN command.  If you skip this step DISKPART will assign one automatically using the next available drive letter.

11.  Use the FORMAT command to format the drive.  Again, be sure the disk that you want to format is selected because once you type in the command and press ENTER it starts.  There is no 'Are you sure?' warning.  You can wipe out your operating system by formatting the wrong drive if you're not careful.

12. The format process took 2 hours 15 minutes on my 750GB drive.  DISKPART shows you a percentage of how far along it is as it goes.  After it is finished the My Computer window will pop up and you should see your new drive in the list and the formatted capacity.  You can now begin using it.

13. Although I used an expensive device called Echo Plus to copy the files off the old drive to the new one Seagate has a free utility for d/l called DiscWizard.  As long as you have at least one Seagate hard drive in your computer you can use DiscWizard to move your files.  I haven't used it but the description says that you can even use it to partition and format a new drive.  That would probably be easier and there would be less chance of mistakes than with DISKPART but I sort of liked going back to my old MS-DOS days for a while.

Okay, all done.  With this install I've shown that, at least on the Pavilion dv9700, you do not have to use jumpers to throttle down the 3.0Gb/sec interface speed and that a larger 750GB drive will work, at least in the secondary drive bay.  I might be getting a 750GB drive for my primary drive bay in a few months since this one is working great thus far and I now know a bit more about how to do it.

Student
amberran
Message 10 of 12 (4,994 Views)

Hello,

I have an HP pavilion 9255 model and got an 9700 model with a broken screen. I sort of mixed the two, so the drives (that are double in size in the 9700 model and I put the hdd also in the other. this was not well considered but just wanted to test if it would be possible cause the two models are almost identical but differ mostly in storage size. it turned all very good, the notebook is working perfect on windows 7 (in spite of all the messages from HP itself) but I have to say that the 'smaller' and older version, the 9255 model, works and always worked MUCH better than the more bigger and later 9700 version. I can multitask on the 9255 like you wouldn't believe, photoshop working, a lot of websites open, itunes playing you tube video's, downloading things and copy files from one directory to an external one. And all wireless. I must be lucky with this particular notebook cause I read a lot of reviews in the last 7 years and a lot of people are not that satisfied about the hp pavilion. the 9700 model has without exaggeration never worked like it should have from the start. It has been returned for reparation and stuff to HP and some things never functioned (like the fingerprint, the hdmi function, the recovery disc utility and above all it can't handle nothing. If you play mediaplayer at the same time with for example a youtube video, the screen just freaked out and the notebook freezes and those are just a couple of the returning problems. the previous owner never took the time to report this while I still think that this notebook was the worst buy ever! but now they are mixed, maybe some of the bad spend (huge amount) of money still for fills a purpose. Does anyone with real computer experience (I love experimenting and learning and fixing computers but never had an education or some sort just learned by trying, failing and trying again, reading a lot and researching all the directory's in the laptop and desktops but also almost made them total loss, not only operating system-technical like but also literally the outside, lol. To make a long story even longer, I miss (or perhaps oversee )in this forum advice not out of HP business regulations even it's stated at the bottom that the messages are of individual authors and not HP itself. I guess that advice about upgrades to windows 7 and replacing parts is censorship and bad for the sell of new HP products. While my whole message is in fact a sort of kudoreport for blaming HP for some things but the point is really that HP notebooks are such everything surviving and in spite of the megafast changing information- and automation technology,some models can really stand the test of time and sort of evolves into a newer model without replacing internal parts. It replaced it just for fun and save some of the files for the previous owner like pics and stuff but it changed nothing of the multitasking abilities I referred earlier. So Kudos to hp for building one of the worlds best under windows working computers but maybe sometimes forgetting that some people don't have the financial space to buy another notebook every 6 months and if they decide to bring out another new model please let there be a possibility to download drivers and software for models older than the huge time of maybe 7 years! Think green, recycling is a good cause and give us the opportunity to do so... :smileywink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation