Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

After "upgrading" WIndows 8 to 8.1, my HP laptop refuse to read ALL my microsd cards. The normal SD cards are ok. Tried different microsd cards and different adpators - all failed. These microsd cards work perfectly when it was Windows 8 and on another Win7 laptop. After Google'ing, I think it is a Microsoft problem as others have the same problem as me.

Can HP press MSFT for a solution?

HP Recommended

i have hp pavilion x2 and i have the same problem. my micro sd card reader (the on below the tablet) won't read my micro sd card and i have tried different micro sd cards still it won't read them. i have tried updating my drivers as well. i am running windows 8.1 any help is appreciated.

HP Recommended

Pavilion dv7

SD card reader never worked!  Why?

svenderik

HP Recommended

Windows 7

HP Recommended

Sorry for the tardy delay in updating my earlier post on this thread.  It is a complete waste of time to attempt reinstallation of drivers when it's a hardware issue.  In my case, I sent the machine back to HP and they replaced the hardware--the card reader and the audio.  I dunno why the audio unless they're somehow interrelated.  Anyway, when it came back the problem was solved.  To HP's credit, I mailed the machine on a Monday and by Friday it was back in my hands working like it should.  So, quit fighting a losing battle and make HP fix your machines.  Sometimes it is NOT user error, NOT software issues or any of that.  Sometimes it's simply crappy components that fail through no fault of yours.  I hope this helps end frustration for some of you and, like I said, HP is FAST on getting the machine back to you.  Oh, do not let the help desk sidetrack you.  Let them know you've tried all their suggestions, let them gain quick access to your computer so they can see for themselves, and then INSIST that you get an RMA and that you want things fixed. 

Now, if I could only get the thing from starting like a jackrabbit and slowing to a turtle after a few hours of work.  Sigh, that's a matter for another thread 😕

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

For those having issues with their SD card readers, this document has all the troubleshooting that can be done to remedy the situation: Using and Troubleshooting Memory Card Readers

If those steps do not resolve the issue, than the reader has a hardware issue. You would need to contact HP phone support. You can service the product and they can repair the reader. You can utilize this website to learn how to contact HP appropriately, based on your region: Contact HP Worldwide

*For those interested in a workaround, you can purchase an external SD card reader. That will work just fine Smiley Happy 

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

My card reader on the HP 11 Stream never worked (machine comes with Windows 8.1). The present driver is said to be up-to-date.  Does anybody had solved this question/?

HP Recommended

My HP stream 11 has a card reader that never worked. This machine comes with windows 8.1. When trying to update the driver, it comes a message saying I have already the last version. Can you please say, if possible, what is the suggested driver? Thank you,

@erico wrote:

Try reinstalling the Realtek SD card reader driver. You can do that via the recovery manager.

It would have helped a bit if you had posted the installed operating system.

HP Recommended

Try the following driver software.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-140089-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

BTW. It always helps if you post the complete product name or product number of your notebook.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.