Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi!

I SOOO hope that someboidy is able to help me.

I am NOT a novice but I am stumped.

I replaced the HD with the same model HD that the COMPAQ CQ58 came with because the old HD was shot - how that happend eludes me.

Anyhoo, after screwing a new HD in I wanted to put OS on it but I get the following error right after pushing gthe power button on:

SMART Hard Disk Error

The SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure not data los, please backup the content immediately and run Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics.

Hard Disk 1 (301)

F2 System Diagnostics

ENTER - Coninue Startup

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

I'll get back to the LINK later.

First I pushed ENTER. What appeared is:

Boot Device Not Found

Please install an operating system on your hard disk

Hard Disk (3FO)

F2 System Diagnostics

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/startup

I pressed F2 and this is what happens:

I get the diagnostics Menu.

Version 1.6.0.0 - BIOS

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/PCDiags

Memory Test

Hard Drive Check

Language

Exit

I pressed Hard Drive Test did the "Quick Check" and this is the message I get:

SMART Check : NOT AVAILABLE

Short DST : NOT AVAILABLE

==============================

For more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/PCDiags

I tried the LINK, it doesn't exist.

I also went to the Boot Options in BIOS in order to start from a USB stick and put the USB HD in first place.

When I reboot it does not recognise any USB stick. I tried Windows 8 and UBUNTU which ususally  works on all machines I recoverd so far.

No whatsoever luck.

As I mentioned before:

I am stumped.

I have no recovery CDs and can't make one since I don't run Win8 on any of my PCs.

So, any suggestions????

Please HELP

Thank you in advance

Kai Henry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

First off:

Thank you all so much for taking the time and replying!

And now for what happened after I did all what was suggested:

Nothing.

The message stayed the same.

Still no hard disk found (although it was new)

Then I took a working hdd with Win7 on it from another machine, put it in the Compaq and...nothing.

I tried the USB with Win8 (NTFS made with Rufus) to no avail.

I don't know why I tried again, but when I used the same USB with Live-UBUNTU 14.04. on it that I had used/tried before...it got recognised at boot.

Weirdly the hdd got totally wiped since it was not recognised by BIOS (the one with Win7 on it ... data gone but I had backup 🙂 ).

So, now I am running the Trusty Tahr on the Compaq and it works fine.

I was going to try to put the original Win8 on it but the system doesn't seem to like NTFS anymore since NTFS USBs are not recongised at boot.

Well anyhoo, I got the machine to work.

Would have been nice to know what was wrong with it to solve future problems but at least I got to sign up in this forum 🙂

So I might bother you guys with questions in the future.

Take care

Kai

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Whenever the Hard Disk Test fails with an error Hard Disk 1 (301) that indicates that the Hard Disk Drive has failed and that requires a replacement to resolve the issue

HP will provide a replacement Hard Disk Drive if the Notebook warranty is Active, If not you need buy a SATA Hard Disk Drive from a retail shop nearby

Please make sure you are getting at least equal capacity as the original one in order to use Recovery Disks. If you need you can buy a larger, but not smaller capacity Hard Disk Drive. For example if you have a 500GB Hard Disk Drive you can upgrade it to 750GB Hard Disk Drive but not 320GB Hard Disk Drive

Please try the below shown troubleshooting steps once:

Step 01. Remove the battery and unplug the AC/Power Adapter

Step 02. Press and hold the Power button for more than 30 Seconds

Step 03. Plug in the AC/Power Adapter (leave the Battery out for now)

Step 04. Press the Power button and check if the Unit works normal

If the above mentioned steps does not help, then you can try reseating the Hard Drive on your Notebook

If the issue persists again please Contact HP if your HP Notebook is under warranty, HP would replace the Hard Disk Drive and provide you a Recovery media to restore factory operating system after replacement (if you've not yet created Recovery Discs/USB Media)

Note: Back up all the personal data to an external drive if it's possible. Otherwise you could connect the failed HDD via SATA to USB adapter with another PC or same PC after replacement of HDD & re-installation of OS and try copying /recovering the files.

Please click on the link In order to Identify, Prevent, Diagnose & Recover from Drive Failures on HP Notebook Hard Drives & Solid State Drives :

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02876562.pdf

You can Check your warranty Here to verify the status and Click Here to order a new Hard Drive

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

That error message means that the hard disk has failed. Request an RMA unit from the vendor you purchased it from.

What utility are you using to make the bootable Ubuntu install flashdrive? 

Have you tested the flashdrive on another notebook or desktop PC?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately the warranty is juuuuuust over...figures...

The  new HD works fine with another PC. It is brand new anyhow.

I did as you described but to no avail.

The original HD was completely shot. I tried connecting with appropriate cable to another PC and also in a HD case. It didn't even start and wasn't found or mounted. So it was a goner.

Which is why I bought the same model and screwed it in.

I also contacted the german support line but other than telling me about payable support services there was no solution.

The Ubuntu USB stick was used to set up four other PCs so I'd say it works...

Still stumped...

HP Recommended

Plug the usb flashdrive into one of the notebooks's usb ports  Press the power button and then immediately tap the Esc key to invoke the startup menu. Choose F9 (boot opions) instead of F10 (BIOS setup) in the startup menu and then select the usb flashdrive. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

First off:

Thank you all so much for taking the time and replying!

And now for what happened after I did all what was suggested:

Nothing.

The message stayed the same.

Still no hard disk found (although it was new)

Then I took a working hdd with Win7 on it from another machine, put it in the Compaq and...nothing.

I tried the USB with Win8 (NTFS made with Rufus) to no avail.

I don't know why I tried again, but when I used the same USB with Live-UBUNTU 14.04. on it that I had used/tried before...it got recognised at boot.

Weirdly the hdd got totally wiped since it was not recognised by BIOS (the one with Win7 on it ... data gone but I had backup 🙂 ).

So, now I am running the Trusty Tahr on the Compaq and it works fine.

I was going to try to put the original Win8 on it but the system doesn't seem to like NTFS anymore since NTFS USBs are not recongised at boot.

Well anyhoo, I got the machine to work.

Would have been nice to know what was wrong with it to solve future problems but at least I got to sign up in this forum 🙂

So I might bother you guys with questions in the future.

Take care

Kai

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.