Question

Top Student
KateT
Message 1 of 19 (49,494 Views)

SMART hard disk 301...but apparently no hard disk problem?!

Hi all,

I recently bought a HP DV6-3299eg laptop and it has started to show up a SMART Hard disk error screen whenever the computer is turned on.  Also, when I'm using the machine it pops up warning messages saying there is a problem with the hard drive and i need to back-up.

However, when I run the System Diagnostics Quick and Full Hard Disk tests, they pass 100%. Also, when I run the Start-up test, the Memory test is a 100% pass. And the Primary Hard Disk Self test is 100% passed. 

But on both the start-up test screen and the Hard Disk test screen it shows up "SMART check: Hard Disk 1 SMART (301).

No warranty code shows up only that SMART check error number.

I bought the computer in Vienna, Austria, but am currently in Budapest, Hungary. The chain of stores I bought it from (SATURN) has stores in both countries and so I took it to the Budapest store yesterday to see what they could do.  Through minimal broken English I understood i was to go home and reinstall windows and that would get rid of the problem.  But that is not the case.  I reinstalled windows 7 last night, then upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate (to get the laptop working in English), and the SMART check error still shows up on start-up. 

I've backed up all my files and just waiting to see what happens. I phoned HP support earlier but they're closed as it's Sunday, so I will try again tomorrow. So in the meantime I thought I would post on here and see if anyone has any ideas of what I can do, if anything, or if there is a serious problem and a new hard drive is needed.

I'm just a bit baffled because the Hard disk is passing the tests, except for the SMART test.  I have a limited knowledge of computers and have been trying to find out what the SMART test actually checks and I've not had much luck in finding out.

Could it have been some overheating triggered the error at some point? Or a knock of some kind while it was in use?

The problem first arose a few days ago after making a short 3 min film in Adobe Premiere.  It was the first project I had done on this computer with that software. It had started to crash a couple of time so I changed the performance settings to High and uninstalled some programs hoping that would make some difference.  It did help and the software didn't crash again but the fan was getting very loud at times and speed fan recorded very high temps.  I'm dissapointed because I bought this laptop with Pre-installed versions of both Adobe Photoshop Elements and Adobe Premiere Elements so I assumed the computer would be able to handle those applications with ease!  The laptop has a Intel i5 processor with 4GB Ram etc which I understood should easily be able to run at least the making of a 3 min video without overheating too much.  Could it be that when the computer overheated, it triggered a SMART check error?

Sorry for the long post but I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone can give some insight... :smileysad:

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 19 (49,477 Views)

Re: SMART hard disk 301...but apparently no hard disk problem?!

Hi, 

Which OS is installed?

Upgrade to the latest BIOS. Here is a link to your notebook's support pages where the drivers and software are.

I suggest that you contact HP. Hard drive replacement is covered under the basic one-year warranty.

Best regards,
erico 

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
KateT
Message 3 of 19 (49,468 Views)

Hi Erico,

Thanks for your reply.

My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. According to my BIOS settings, I already have the latest driver version F.23 installed on my computer.  I assume that there is no point in me reinstalling it or would that help?

Thanks

Kate

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 19 (49,466 Views)

If that is the case there wouldn't be a point. Contact HP.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****
You can say thanks by clicking on the Kudos thumbs up icon

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
yamgeronimo
Message 5 of 19 (38,748 Views)

Hi,

ms. Kate I have a  problem similar as yours right now. when i often my laptop is shows hard disk 1 Smart (301). but when i do the primary hard disk self quick test..its 100percent complete and passed..same as full test i got 100percent complete passed. but for smart check theres an error.  i just thought, maybe you could help me with the same problem as you experience the same almost a year ago..

would you mind helping me?

i will appreciate your kindness

best regards,

yam 

Student
meivesk
Message 6 of 19 (37,036 Views)

what is the fix?  seems to be the same as others, but don't know what the solution is....

receiving a 100% Passed for both Quick and Full tests

Student
nthingvall
Message 7 of 19 (35,893 Views)

I am having the same issue as you all. I found some help (but not good news) by downloading DiskCheckup. It's available for free from CNET (http://download.cnet.com/DiskCheckup/3000-2248_4-127159.html). It gave me some more useful information than the actual SMART error. For me, it said my Reallocated Sector Count had exceeded its threshold. Your error may be different.

After doing some research, my error looks to be more critical than others (at least according to Wikipedia) and there is no easy fix. Looks like one option is to repartition my drive and tell the computer to not use that section. Also, it looks like with Acronis (http://kb.acronis.com/content/11417), you may be able to sort of reset the threshold so you won't get the error until it actually gets worse. It looks like this can be a slow degradation of the drive due to bad sectors. 

If nothing else, DiskCheckup is a good way to easily get more information about what's going on with your hard drive. Now I need to decide whether to try the repartition trick, risk it by disabling the warning, or shell out for another HD.

Student
ontitya
Message 8 of 19 (32,991 Views)

Hi all
I have a notebook HP dv5-1155ec, but the problem I have basically the same ... when you start the notebook - "SMART check: SMART Hard Disk (301)."

How do you write those system utilities under Windows same time, you can not cope, or tools from HP as "HP.Sup.Ass." And even the HP website I found no tool.

However, I went to the woods :-)
I found that my HDD "WDC-WD" (Western Digital) WDC Web site and I found quite a nice tool "Data Lifeguard Diagnostics".
Link: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=702&sid=3&lang=en

Personally, it helped me with the actual repair bad sectors on the HDD.

I hope it helps.
Honor Student
fixedLameHPDesi
Message 9 of 19 (24,045 Views)

I fixed the 301 issue:  just take the harddrive out of the laptop and stick it into a desktop or usb enclosure and go into  window's disk repair .. i'm using xp so I right click on the drive that needs repaired , properties, tools, check now and check both automatic fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.  I think the second option must have flushed and confirmed whether there was any bad sector.  I've booted my hp multiple times afterwards and no issue, so issue is resolved.  

What initially happened was that I used one of those harddrive readers and I suspect one of the power source was bad and so it might have wrote some dirty data into the drive.  

After doing some research, I think HP should have gave users a lot more option in the bios where one is allowed to disable SMART.  Next time I buy a laptop, I'll be sure to check out the bios and if I see that there's too few features, then I'll get another brand.  There's no reason that this error would keep popping up even though in my case, there clearly was no issue because the HP disk diagnostic came back saying that it's good and DiskCheckup says my SMART is good.  And so does the Data Lifeguard disagnostic.  Therefore, this is a design flaw on HP's part.

Honor Student
fixedLameHPDesi
Message 10 of 19 (24,044 Views)

And also, when I called HP, since my laptop was out of warranty, they wanted to sell me a drive. I wonder what would happen if my drive was still in warranty. This is what happens when HP and other companies provide bios with too few options. I'm not even asking for overclocking options, but 3rd party bios usually come with many bios options.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation