Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I wish to upgrade the on-board HDD of my HP/Compaq 6710b (p/n KL513AV) to SSD.  2.5" SATA I think - but is there anything else needed in the drive spec.?  Has anyone done this already, and which drive did you install?  (The one I am considering is a Kingston SH100S3/120G.)

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I'm beginning an install of a 256gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD drive.  So far it has been smooth.  Uninstalled the original Hitachi HDD and installed the SSD in the disk caddy that the Hitachi was in.  Only issue was there was a little plastic tab on the case cover (on the long side) that broke off trying to get the cover back on.  Should be no biggie since the cover is secured by two tabs on one end and two screws on the other.  HP's directions for removal didn't warn of this issue.

The SSD is 7mm and so thinner than the 9.5 HDD it replaced.  There is only one way it fits in the caddy and is secured by 4 screws using a small phillips screw driver.  No issues.  Once in and the case put back together, I booted from CD Drive the Win 7 Pro 64 disk and it is now almost finished expanding the Windows files.

I have downloaded and burned onto DVD all win 7 64bit drivers from HP's website so I can install everything without being on the web.

Machine auto reboots and is now completing install of Win 7 Pro 64bit.  Total time about 10 min.  Add another 15 to take the old drive out and put the new drive in.

Now second reboot on initial install. 2 min.  Win 7 running through video checks and now I'm at account setup screen less than 30min after I started this process.  5 min to activate Windows.  Done.  Totally painless though I now have to install all the drivers for the hardware.  Looks like all but 3 device drivers need attention!  Almost everthing else shows up as working.  Wow!!  I'll post after I get it connected to LAN wirelessly and give some performance feedback.  Also upgraded memory to 4gb (the max I think this can hold) and used Patriot pc2-6400 rather than 5300.  Works great so far!!!

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I've installed a SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250GB in my old 6710b (my only computer) with success, I've downloaded from Microsoft the ISO installation file for Windows 10 Home edition. I was able to install and start windows perfectly working in less than 15 minutes. Everything was working without any extra driver installation (only an automatic download for video drive but everything worked without my help). Even the fingerprint sensor was working fine.

What else. I've downloaded also the last magician  software to enable the speed mode of the SSD. My computer had already small upgraded in the past, first was the 2GByte extra RAM memory and after the new wireless board Intel 4965AGN. The last upgrade really gave new life to this computer that now is ready to make I hope another 5 years on the field. 

After windows 10 installation I decided to change the original RAM memory installed under the keyboard (1GB) to give space to the windows activities. I noticed surfing the web that windows 10 take a lot of RAM and that was true, my free RAM was only 0,7 GB of 3GB so I put a new RAM to reach the maximum value supported  of the mother board  (4GB) and now I have 1,7 GB free. I hope this can help. This forum helped me to start the upgrade.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.