Question

Honor Student
JoostV
Message 1 of 4 (1,437 Views)
Accepted Solution

Short DST Failed Hard drive

Notebook refuses to start Windows in any way. 

RUn F2 Diagnostics and returns FAILED tests: 

Start-Up Test

Run-In Test

Hadr Disk Test

all return Failure ID: 

6C133V-5636HG-XD003G-60R903

I suspect this means there is an issue with the Hard Drive. 

What I DO NOT KNOW is

- if I can do something about it, if yes what

- if the HP Shop can do something about it

- if this is beyong repair and I can just order a new Hard Disk

THANKS GUYS FOR ADVICE MUCH APPRECIATED

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 4 (1,434 Views)

Re: Short DST Failed Hard drive

Hi,

Go back into the F2 diagnostics and into component diagnostics. Try the short and loong t4est for the hard disk.  Generally a DST fail means that the hard disk has failed. 

Contact HP Total Care.

If your noteboook is still in warranty, you can get a free replacement of the hard disk under warranty. If not in warranty, purchase a hard disk of the same type.

I cannot advise which particular type as you have not identified your notebook with a complete product name or product number.

I do hope that you created a recovery disk set or usb recovery media. You will need it to recover you notebook back into the state it was delivered in. If you don't have a recovery media set you can buy one from HP or an HP partner.

HP has produced and brought to market perhaps more than 10,000 models of notebooks and desktop PCs over the years. It is difficult to help you if we don't know which one you own and which operating system is installed.

Method #1: If the notebook will boot into Windows you can retrieve your Product Number by pressing Fn + Esc key. You can also read the Service Tag (if present) attached to the bottom of your notebook\netbook.

Method #2:
Remove the battery and look in the compartment where the battery was installed. You should see a printed part number and a product name. Please post one or both of them (with all alphanumeric characters here). If you live outside of North America, it helps us if you post the country of purchase.

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
JoostV
Message 3 of 4 (1,415 Views)

Thanks for the Info!

It's a Pavilion dv6-3050eb

purchased through the Belgium HP Employee shop.

Product Number is 6C133V-5636HG-XD003G-60R903

It's running Windows7

unfortunately half a year out of warranty now

It's a bit frustrating that a 1000€ product does not function more then 6 months after it's warranty life. 

When I puirchase a new Hard Drive, how do I get a new Windows installed on it? Do I have to purchase a new Windows set or can I build on the fact that I owned a version on this Notebook. 

THANKS

Joost

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 4 (1,398 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

There is an option available that can use the activation license key on the Windows certificate of authenticity on the bottom of your notebook. That is the most economic way to go. The downside is that you will have to determine which drivers are needed afterwards. The Recovery Disk set (at @ €25,00 ) includes all of the drivers and applications that your notebook was delivered with. That is a choice you will have to make.

All you need to do is download the exactWndows version and language ISO  from here. Use the ISO to create a Windows installation DVD or a usb installation flashdrive. You will need to download the Microsoft Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.  You will need a 4GB usb 2.0 flashdrive for that option. Windows 7 ISOs are usually about 2.4GB in size. Here is a tutorial page for the Microsoft tool.

I highly recommend the usb option. It is fast and more reliable than an installation DVD. ONce you have created your Windows 7 installation media you will need to download the drivers for your chipset and the other hardware in your notebook from here.

Best regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation