Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

One Additional Note:

I've seen the Smart AC adapter message also appear if the AC adapter is plugged into an overloaded Power-Strip (extension card) because the voltage/current has become insufficient for the laptop. Test this by plugging the laptop AC adaptor directly into a wall outlet. Always check the rating of power-strip/surge-protectors and never exceed the rating. This neglect has been known to result in house fires.

Cheers

HP Recommended

I tried every one of these suggestions including getting a new adapter, having my motherboard changed, getting a bios upgrade and doing all that reset crap and nothing worked.

In the end I got so pissed off with HP, I went to add/remove programs and uninstalled all the HP crap that was on there (specifically HP support assistant and HP Quick Launch). The message hasn't come back since. I am currently using my old 65w adapter to force the message to come back but it still hasn't.

So in conclusion the solution to the problem is as simple as uninstalling the HP support assisstant and HP quick Launch and your problems should go away!

HP Recommended

So in your case, it is related to my suspicions from my first comment (HP app bug).

Glade you found something that worked for you.

Cheers

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HP Support Please READ THIS:

Just got the "Smart AC adapter - limited power" message. The thing is, this is the first time and never got this in over a year of using my EliteBook 6930p laptop w/Win-7 Pro 32 (not a cheap laptop) and the AC Adapter is the 90W version. The 2nd thing is, with LAN connected, WiFi & BT OFF the only USB item was a Logitech 2.4GHz mouse which I had been using. I had just pluged in headphones (which takes No Power) and the Smart AC adapter message popped up.

Clearly the HP Smart AC adapter app needs a bug fix. 

To correct it from 'reducing' my power and screen brightness, I unplugged just the AC and let it switch to battery then replugged the AC and screen brightness was restored.

HP Recommended

I opened the document you posted, but I'm getting this message with my brand new ENVY TouchSmart using the power adapter that came with my laptop!!! Im losing power as we speak! What can I do? Why would HP ship a power adapter that isnt powerful enough?

HP Recommended

Brand new HP laptop for me as well. Let's hear about a fix.

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with a brand new laptop (and charger, of course) shipped from HP this month.

WORKAROUND SOLUTION: Uninstall HP Quick Launch.  (Control Panel, Uninstall a program, HP Quick Launch.)

Final Test:  Remove the power cord and reinsert it.  Message will not appear. 

HP Recommended

Read with interest this entire thread. Some great suggestions, thanks to all for the ideas. I hope to offer one more.

New(er) Pavilion m7 running with 65w power supply. In my case, I opened HP Power Manager in the Control Panel. Selected and applied HP suggested power management. Closed out of HP Power Manager. Popup (s) now a goner!

JCC in San Diego, CA

HP Recommended

I occassionally get the same message. I have a90w adapter for my HP Envy m6.

HP Recommended

hi all, i have recently started getting this "smart ac adapter" message when i try to play games on my 1 month old laptop

HP ENVY DV7-7332EA, INTEL I7 QUAD CORE, 16GB RAM, WINDOWS 8, i have rang pc world where i got it from and one guy said there is a bios update for this problem, then i got cut of, so after ringing them back another guy told me its the charger, but i already have the 120w charger, so they are sending me a new charger, lets hope this helps, i am going on  to hp now to see if i can find the bios update

HP Recommended

Hello russ40a,

If you still need assistance with updating the BIOS on your HP ENVY dv7-7332ea Notebook PC, feel free to follow this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00042629

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best regards,

I worked on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.