Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a Pavilion dv-7-4285dx. My start up says: Smart Hard Disk Error 301. How do I correct?

52 REPLIES 52
HP Recommended

Hi,

The error may indicate that your Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

First of all, remove and then reconnect the Hard Drive - the procedure is described starting on Page 54 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

Next, tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run a test on the Hard Drive.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I will try...

HP Recommended

Hi,

Ok, let me know the result of the test on the Hard Drive after you re-seat the dirve.

Also let me know if your notebook is still under warranty.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks Dean, I completed the removal, re-assembly of the drive and completed the test. The laptop opened with the 301 error. I hit the enter key to start up the computer, but it took a long time to completely come on line.

The date of Warrantey is 12-19-2010. I would like to note that the error started just before the one year anniversary date.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Given the 301 error and the symptoms you describe, I would say that you need to replace the Hard Drive.  If you would like a guide on this, please let me know.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your feed back. How do I go about getting a replacement Hard Drive? When I bought this unit, it did not come with backup software.Do I have to download all the software that was proprogrammed?

HP Recommended

Hi,

The drive on the link below is an example of one that would be fine for your notebook.

640Gb Hard Drive.

The procedure to replace the Hard Drive starts on Page 54 of your Maintenance & Service Guide.

As you don't have your Recovery Discs, you can order a replacement set using the link below - use these discs to reinstall the operating system.  They will also reinstall all the original software that was bundled with your notebook as well as re-creating the Recovery Partition on the new drive.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

If you have any problem with this link, order them directly from HP.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I have copied the Recovery partition D from the HP hard drive to an external hard drive.Can I use this recovery file to load the new hard drive wilth all of the files needed to bring the new hard drive back to when the computer was originally loaded? If so, in the setup will the computer recognise this external hard drive with the file in it? Please provide specific info on loading this procedure. 

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

You will not be able to use the copy of the Recovery Partition files to reload the OS from an external drive.

Other than ordering a replacement set of Recovery Discs, it may still be possible to create your own set.  I would try doing this in Safe Mode to minimise the the strain on the Hard Drive.

First, shut down the notebook.  Tap away at f8 as you start the notebook to enter Windows Recovery Console.  Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode and hit enter.  Let windows fully load in this mode and then follow the steps outlined in the document on the link below to see if you can create your set of recovery discs.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01895783

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.