Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

(sorry for my italian english..) I've started windows but strangely it went very slow, it continued to work but very very slowly (no internet, it seems like I had 30mb of ram memory!) So I've started "HDD regenerator" and it found bad sectors.

Finally when I have interrupted it (too much time, 4% in 24hrs) the notebook (HP PAVILION 15 n006sl) doesn't find windows, it ask to me to start a bootable disk (like a usb or a cd), 

SMART CHECK : FAILED

FAILURE ID : GQF1VK-709794-MFPWXF-60BE03

HARD DRIVE 1

---------------------------

for more information, please visit: www.hp.com/go/techcenter/PCDiags

What should I do?

There's anything I can do without buying a new HD?

Thank you

Ernesto

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The 24 character error code for the SmartTest failure would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know - include the full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - see Here for a further explanation.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

The 24 character error code for the SmartTest failure would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.

If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - you can check your warranty status Here.

If you live in the US, contact HP Here.

If you are in another part of the world, start Here.

If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know - include the full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - see Here for a further explanation.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you sir!

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome.

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Yes, it is very likely that you will have to replace your hard drive.

If it is still functional, immediately back up any important data, then run the HP System Diagnostic Hard Disk Test to confirm the condition of your hard drive.  

Opening HP System Diagnostics

Complete the following steps to open HP System Diagnostics:
  1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Use one of the following methods:
  3. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the HP System Diagnostics program opens.
  4. Turn on the computer and immediately press the Escape key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup menu opens. Then press F2.
    Figure 21: HP System Diagnostics
    Image of HP System Diagnostics screen
    The System Diagnostics window allows you to run several diagnostic tests. Each test determines if the hardware is functioning properly, and displays an error message and a warranty ID if there is a hardware failure.

The Hard Disk Test analyzes the physical condition of the hard disk, and then checks every bit of data in every sector on the hard disk. If the test detects a damaged sector, it attempts to retrieve the data from that sector and move it to a good sector. It also marks the damaged sector, so that the computer does not attempt to write data to this sector again.

Image of Hard Disk Test screen.
The Hard Disk Test may take an hour or more, depending on the size of the hard drive.
  1. Quick test
  2. Full test
  3. SMART check

:Wink: If you found my answer helpful please say thanks by clicking on the Thumb's Up icon. Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.