Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello, i am new here and this is my first question. I bought  HP Laptop G4-1200TX from a local dealer 2 years ago. It worked fine till last year when i ,manually, upgrade its window from win7 home basic to win7 premuim and then to win7 ultimate. After sometime some of keys stopped working  {last row keys - "z", "x", "c", "v", "m" (the last row alphabets except "b" and "n") and the spacebar stopped working}. Its been a long time now also the laptop is out of warranty. I havedone following things :
1) unistalled the keyboard from device manager and then reinstalled it again .
2) cleaned the keys by slightly pulling them up (there was no dust/dirt at all )
3) Removed the battery and hold the power button for full one minute and then reinserted the battery.
                               I Tried the above methods more than once but no success 😞  . I have also read your forum for similar question and answers but they were the same as above. Its really  difficult to open on-screen keyboard everytime.Now i want it to be perfect more than ever since i had to go college where laptop is necessary. So i come to you now for some help. Early reply appreciated....
Thanks in advance............

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks guys so much for giving your ime.... sorry for very late reply ......i was out of town... i have purchased a new keyboard for my laptop.. everything's  fine now... thanks again 🙂  🙂

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43
HP Recommended

Was something inadvertently spilled on the notebook?

Connect a usb keyboard for a temporary workaround.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended
No, nothing was spilled on notebook. Know anything that i can do correct the notebook keyboard ??
HP Recommended

Unfortunately you have tried everything short of replacing the keyboard. I think that is the next step and I am pretty sure it will fix the problem. Do you want a manual and a link to a place to buy the keyboard?

HP Recommended

Sure sir i want that. But lastly ,do you think it may be a problem of keyboard ribbon cable? I haven't tried that because i don't want to take the risk of opening the notebook keyboard from behind with screwdrivers, myself. I might damage it.

HP Recommended

You can have the keyboard replacement done at a PC or notebook shop by a technician. That should alleviate your concern about damaging the notebook.

Best regards,
erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual. I fully understand not wanting to open it up.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03137358.pdf

Look at page 57 and you can assess if it is omething you are comfortable doing.

The Manual also has a parts list so you have the correct part number. If you are going to take it to a shop you might save yourself some money to buy the keyboard yourself. Let us know if you want some ideas where to procure one.

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem with scrambled keys. I don't exactly remember how I fixed it but I believe you have to insert the ac cable in as your pc as it is either powering on or when it is powering down.

HP Recommended

@JohnB95 wrote:
I had a similar problem with scrambled keys. I don't exactly remember how I fixed it but I believe you have to stick the ac cable in as your pc is either powering on or when it is powering down.

The resolution of the problem  has nothing to do with "stick the ac cable in as your pc is either powering on or when it is powering down"

Best regards,
erico

HP Recommended
Somehow that solved my scrambled keys. Its worth a try.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.