Question

Top Student
ebevan91
Message 1 of 28 (91,413 Views)

Some keys on my laptop aren't working

[ Edited ]

Ok, so I have a new Compaq Presario CQ60, I've only had it for a month and a week, and the g, h, backspace, right arrow key, ' (apostrophe), and the 8, 4,1, and the * key on the number pad aren't working. I can get the "h" key to work if I press hard enough, however.

I've never mistreated my laptop or anything. Except the night before the keys quit working I didn't shut the screen on the laptop. I don't think that could have anything to do with it however. I'd like to try some things out before trying to buy a replacement keyboard...

What could be the problem? Any solutions?

I really need help, I use the laptop for college stuff and I really need to get my keyboard working.

Message Edited by ebevan91 on 08-31-2009 10:00 AM
Top Student
ebevan91
Message 2 of 28 (91,344 Views)

Re: Some keys on my laptop aren't working

Please help!!!!!
Associate Professor
Adamtech
Message 3 of 28 (91,342 Views)

Can you please post the P/N for your unit so I can provide you with the keyboard part number.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

Associate Professor
Adamtech
Message 4 of 28 (91,341 Views)

Also how old is the unit?

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

Top Student
ebevan91
Message 5 of 28 (91,261 Views)

I have only had the laptop for about a month and a half.

Honor Student
Julie37620
Message 6 of 28 (90,239 Views)

SOLUTION TO SPECIFIC KEYS NOT WORKING!!!

Ok, I've been having this issue with my HP Compaq Presario F700... I did just do a tear down to reflow the motherboard, so I assumed it had something to do with that.  So there I am, tearing it down again to make sure the cable is properly seated.  Yep, still seated.  Only the 1,2,3,4,7,8,9,0 keys weren't working... Hmmm.  So I figured, it's one of two things, either a software malfunction, or a malfunction in the motherboard, seeing as I had just done an oven reflow.  So, try the easier of the two...

I went into Device Manager, deleted/uninstalled my keyboard and the driver for it, did a restart, and TADA!!!  The keyboard began working again just fine.  Hopefully this will help someone out there, since I searched the net for days and never found this as a solution :smileyhappy:

And BTW, I dropped my laptop over a year and a half ago, which disabled the sound and DVD drive, as well as the ethernet port.  After my oven reflow, the sound began working, the DVD drive works again, as well as the ethernet.  I am SO happy.  My laptop is 5 or 6 years old now, and it's back to being brand new :smileyvery-happy:  Just had to give myself kudos on that one :smileywink: hahaha

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Top Student
ebevan91
Message 7 of 28 (90,230 Views)

Why did you bump this thread? The thread is over a year old and I got my laptop replaced like a week after making this thread lol.

Honor Student
HPTechSupport
Message 8 of 28 (89,497 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have a HP dv7-1285dx and since the day I bought it the integrated numeric keypad has not worked. I can get 0.456/*- with num luck activated.

I haven't had time to get this fixed before my warranty expired due to having an elderly mother who was chronically, seriously ill for the past two years since the day after I bought this thing. She has now passed and I figure I can now clear my head enough to figure this out. Other than the keypad issue the laptop has performed fine.

I have thought about uninstalling the keyboard and driver; but, I am concerned that if your suggestion doesn't work then I will be stuck with a laptop that doesn't have any part of the keyboard that works. I guess I should make a boot disk first. I will post afterwards with hopefully positive results.

OK chickened out on uninstalling keyboard. However, I found several articles in the Microsoft Knowledge base that refers to turning off the mouse keys in the Ease of Access Center located under the Accessories Folder. This did not work for me; but might for others.

I found my solution on search of the web. I just needed to press the following key combination CRTL+ALT+F1.

So I am sure that the uninstalling and reinstalling would have worked for me since it would change the setting back to the original factory settings.

Thanks for your posts.

Honor Student
123hair
Message 9 of 28 (85,730 Views)

I have a HP Pavillian dv7 most of the bottom keys have stopped working and a couple of keys on the top row . Can someone help .
Honor Student
123hair
Message 10 of 28 (85,728 Views)

I took my battery out and pressed the start button and for some reason the keys have come good
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation