Question

Tutor
Yukiin_Kinin
Message 1 of 5 (2,906 Views)
Accepted Solution

Sound (volume) control pad stuck at "Mute"

I  considered a while between post this in the topic about sound or about hadeware, but now it's here anyway.  :smileywink:

Well, straight to the story, here's my problem: I'm using HP Pavilion DV4T-1400 (the Entertainment series if I remember correctly). My sound (or volume) control pad was once fine. One day, after I made some changes about the software installed in my computer (I removed some) and restart it, I got a HUGE problem: the sound control pad kept displaying "Mute" (The red loudspeaker) no matter how many time I tried to touch and touch and touch...

The funny part is the volume bar in Windows is still OK, and it changed each time I touched the pad, for example from mute to unmute and then mute again for 3 touches. However, the volume pad was just a red "mute", and I can hear no sound. :smileysad:

I read the support for the Pavilion DV4T-1400 on the homepage, which describes the (almost) same problem with mine. And it advises me to update BIOS by downloading the latest HP Support Assistant to "Tune up" my computer. I did download it and run it twice, and suddenly I noticed that in the "Tune up" process, there is no "Update BIOS" option. All it have is just the same option as a usual disk-cleaner.

So I post this thread, hope that someone can help me fix this problem. Three days without any sound is really terrible with someone working in the designing field. :smileysad:

P.S. A few days ago, I remember removing some software with the name kind of "sound plugin" or similar to that, can't remember the exact name.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 5 (2,867 Views)

Re: Sound (volume) control pad stuck at "Mute"

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The following assumes you are using Windows 7.

Download and install the IDT Audio driver on the link below.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45211.exe

After the installation has completed, restart the notebook and after Windows has fully reloaded, check if the mute button now works.

If it still does not function correctly, download and reinstall the Quick Launch Buttons driver on the link below.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp46501-47000/sp46731.exe

Again, after the installation has completed, restart the notebook, let Windows fully load and check the mute button.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
Yukiin_Kinin
Message 3 of 5 (2,864 Views)

[ Edited ]

@DavidPK

Well, what's else to say? It rocks! And I didn't even have to restart the computer! Thank you so much DavidPK. I'll add a kudo for you solution now. Thank you again :smileylol:

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 5 (2,854 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome and I'm glad it helped :smileyhappy:

All the best,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
Appleton134
Message 5 of 5 (700 Views)

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem with my HP b14-003sa (on windows 8). Has anyone else has this issue or can help me??

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation