Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

So I bought my computer used, and the previous owner barely used it because he primarily used a Mac. The computer works well, I just noticed that the space bar only works when you hit it directly in the middle or hard. This significantly slows my typing speed. Since I am a student, I need to be able to type quickly.

Product name: HP Pavilion dv7-4083cl Entertainment Notebook PC

Operating System info: Windows 7 professional, 64 bit.

There were no changes to the computer.

I am looking for an at-home fix because the computer hp warranty is up and I don't want to pay someone to do something I can do. I am pretty comfortable with computers, so I can try any solutions.

I read that this may be a BIOS update problem. So I looked in my computer system and found that the BIOS version/date is as the following:

BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.29, 11/7/2011

Can an HP representative give me recommendations regarding which BIOS update I should use - knowing that this fix is a sensitive one.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @J05h ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the space bar doesn't work well on your notebook.

Can you tell me if the space bar feels loose or "wobbly" on the sides? If you have to press the space bar in the middle or hard it means it's not making good contact with the button under the key. This is typically a hardware issue not a software issue.

You can see how to troubleshoot the keyboard here: Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting. You'll see near the bottom they address stuck keys which will give the best info for the space bar. The metal rod under the key may be bent preventing the key from working properly.

The simplest solution to your problem is to replace the keyboard. It's pretty easy to do and you can see a full list of replacement part numbers (605344-001 for keyboard use in the United States) and detailed instruction in this guide: HP Pavilion dv7 Entertainment PC - Maintenance and Service Guide. The steps start on page 65.

I did a quick search online and found this keyboard for as little as $15.00 from sites like Amazon and eBay.

As a side note: the BIOS version you have is the most recent available for your notebook.

Hopefully this helps. Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hey @J05h ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the space bar doesn't work well on your notebook.

Can you tell me if the space bar feels loose or "wobbly" on the sides? If you have to press the space bar in the middle or hard it means it's not making good contact with the button under the key. This is typically a hardware issue not a software issue.

You can see how to troubleshoot the keyboard here: Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting. You'll see near the bottom they address stuck keys which will give the best info for the space bar. The metal rod under the key may be bent preventing the key from working properly.

The simplest solution to your problem is to replace the keyboard. It's pretty easy to do and you can see a full list of replacement part numbers (605344-001 for keyboard use in the United States) and detailed instruction in this guide: HP Pavilion dv7 Entertainment PC - Maintenance and Service Guide. The steps start on page 65.

I did a quick search online and found this keyboard for as little as $15.00 from sites like Amazon and eBay.

As a side note: the BIOS version you have is the most recent available for your notebook.

Hopefully this helps. Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you Great-Deku-Tree,

I think I may need to replace the keyboard. Thank you for looking up that information for me!

The space bar isn't wobbley (it feels just as solid as any other key). 

Out of curiosity, is there a way to remove the space bar and fix the problem myself? Say, if the bar is bent, can I bend it back? 

Thank you,

J05h

HP Recommended

Hey J05h,

That's what I'm here for!

You can try to pop the space bar off but keep in mind there is a chance the small plastic clip that holds it in place could break doing this, though it's usually OK.

The best way is with a flat head screwdriver or butter knife. Don't pry up in the middle or you might take a space bar to the face. Trust me, it's happened to me on more than one occasion! Pry on the sides with your hand over the key in case it tries to attack you like mine seem to do.

Good luck!

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Great Deku Tree,

Thanks for your response. That was a good suggestion. I tried it and luckily the space bar didn't hitme in the face.

I took the spacer bar off today and inspected the underlying situation. The bars were in good shape, not bent, andthe plastic peices looked okay too. When replaced the space bar, I noticed something though. 

Underneath the the little button the plastic space bar, there is the button the plastic peice hits, ya know what I'm talking about? Well that button is on some kind of thin material that acts as some sort of protectant. Well it seems loose. So the button isn't held perfectly straight down. So I thought that maybe because that protectant material is loose, it could be pushing up on the plastic clips you were talking about. 

So I am not sure if you have ever heard of a problem like that have you?

Thanks again for thetime you're spending on helping me.

J05h

HP Recommended

Hey J05h,

Most keyboard have a rubbery protective layer that has a small nub for each key. The nub acts kind of like a spring while also providing a softer substrate for the key to make contact with the chip behind it. It's really hard to explain but the rubber nub is thinner where it connects to the rest of the rubber sheet and I've seen these rip over time so it loses its spring and response action.

So I get what you're saying. Sadly you cant just buy a rubber sheet. The good news is the keyboard is really cheap to replace and you should be good to go!

Thanks!

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Great, thanks!

HP Recommended

Hello!

Apparently.my.spacebar.doesn't.work,but.I.have.followed.what.you.have.said.(the.'removing.the.spacebar.with.a.butterknife.'.thing.)It.has.gotten.me.into.much.trouble,because.now.I.cannot.do.anything.*sigh.*Also,my."c".button,my"x".button.and.my."v".button.do.not.work.as.well.as.my.left.shift.button.(I.searched.up.words.including.those.letters.in.order.to.type.this.)Any.way.that.I.can.fix.this?

sincerely,

AnnaSushi162

HP Recommended

@AnnaSushi162,

Looks like you need a new keyboard. If your notebook is in warranty please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the following link to get the support number for your region: Phone Assist Worldwide.

If the notebook is not in warranty you can still call to set up service but there may be a repair fee. Often for things like keyboards its more cost effective to replace it yourself. Don't worry, it's actually pretty easy to do. If you can tell me the exact model of the notebook I can tell you the part number to order a replacement keyboard (usually anywhere from $15-$35) and provide a detailed guide on how to replace it. For information on finding your product or model number click here: Finding Your HP Product Model Number.

Thanks!

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.