Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
As I mentioned in an earlier reply, it appears it's not actually achievable under real world conditions; somewhere there's a teeny, tiny disclaimer that says the original headline 12.5 figure was achieved using a software benchmark tool to give a synthetic result.

Shades of VW's emissions test figures.
HP Recommended
That's pretty poor then from HP. I definitely think Windows 10 has made battery life worse though.
HP Recommended

Guys, try to update the BIOS to the latest version it seems to be working for me. I also chatted with HP support where he took over and changed some settings that I don't know what they were.

HP Recommended
With respect, Ruzy, I've performed all BIOS upgrades as they've appeared.

As for the latter part of your note, I'm a) not really in a position to have anyone remote into and root around my machine, and b) as an IT professional myself, would appreciate even less that someone didn't have the courtesy to explain what they'd changed.

Moreover, why have HP not acknowledged there is a fix and published details? Because the numbers they posted are not achievable under real world conditions, see my earlier responses.
HP Recommended

I totally agree Wikkus. HP has marketed battery performance claims that are not obtainable in the real world of ordinary users.

HP Recommended

Just read through the replies and I think I'm having the same problem. I've just got the one with the latest i5 (6th generation) and noticed the battery drains surprisingly fast. I lost 8% battery whilst the laptop was sleeping for 60 minutes!

ATM I'm probably getting around 6-7 hours with power saver on, the screen brightness as low as possible and only doing light browsing. McAfee and other unnecessary apps have already been uninstalled and the only thing running in the background is a few of the default apps (speakers, touchpad, HP assistance) and Google Drive.

HP Recommended

I just did a BIOS update version dated back on oct 2015. The fan has gone a lot quieter. It improves the battery life a bit, probably from around 5 hours to 5.5. It's still no good but I can see it probably has something to do with Win 10 not matching the drivers, thus consuming too much energy

HP Recommended

I bought a HP Spectre x360 6th gen i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSHD and Windows 10 a few days ago. I was suprised battery life was only 5 hours, despite removing McAfee, disabling Superfetch and the Background Intelligent Transfer services and using low screen brightness. HP support helped perform a BIOS upgrade. It seemed that this did not improve battery life, web browsing for 40 minutes consumed 13% of my battery (this was on 80% screen brightness though).

Today I started with 100% charge and only used screen brightness of 50% for the day. I had Firefox (3 tabs of Google, Gmail, Calendar) and 3 Word documents opened. I was surprised to find that after 12 min, my battery was still at 100%. It seemed battery life had improved drastically and CPU was hovering between 1 to 5%. At that point, I opened up Facebook on a new tab. Once Facebook was open, my battery life reduced by 7% in 7 minutes! Also, my CPU was much higher and fluctuating between 32% to 56%. I found the following link which corroborates my experience: https://www.facebook.com/help/community/question/?id=564607316896327

After closing Facebook, I achieved much better battery life. If I avoided using Facebook, only using my laptop for email and word processing (at 50% screen brightness), consumed 46% of my battery in 5 hours. Under these usage conditions, I could potentially achieve 11 hours of battery life.

I understand that closing Facebook might not solve the problem of bad battery life for everyone. Facebook will only be a problem with certain browsers. Just keep in mind that activities that use a lot of CPU will drain your battery really fast. For instance, using express set-up for Windows 10 means updates can happen in the background without users knowing. This can cause random periods of poor battery life, as discussed on http://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-update-delivery-optimization.

The HP Spectre x360 is a beautiful laptop with amazing battery life (if you maintain low CPU and screen brightness). I am now a very happy HP customer. Hope this helps others!

HP Recommended

I just received my customized SkyLake Spectre X360 (i76500/8GB/512SSD with FHD..didnt' want to mess with QHD and hoping for a battery saving)) and let the battery cycle twice...I am barely getting 4.5 hours. So, I've done a few things to see how the next cycle goes...

1. Ditched Chrome. Using the IE11/Edge Combo

2. Turned off Cortana listening. I really don't use that feature.

3. Have it set to HP Power Settings. I do MIDI and the ultipmate power saver setting just won't cut it.

4. Turned off the Bluetooth. No need to have it on since I rarely use it.

5. Went into Task Manager and disabled many of the start-up programs. They'll work when I click on them.

6. Reinstalled same BIOS...just for good measure.

Will see how the next round goes. I have until Jan 5th to decide whether I'm going to keep or send it back.

HP Recommended

After these steps, my battery now averages between 8-9 hours. I use the BatteryBar to show Time remaining and it keeps an ongoing average for each cycle. Right now, the average is up from 5:15 to 7:34 per cycle.

Very pleased.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.