Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 Convertible 13
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am liking almost everything about this laptop except the noise the touchpad makes when I click on it.  If I touch it very light, I don't get the click.  If I engage with a little force, it clicks as I would expect.  If I touch it with more than a feather's worth of force, which is my normal force for using the touchpad, I get a noise that sounds like the touchpad is loose.  It happens consistently.   The touchpad is working fine, but that noise gets very annoying.  It is not a loud noise, but loud enough to be noticed each and every time I touch it with any force more than that feather like touch I mention above.  Is this normal?  Is there a way to correct it?  Will I have to bring it to a technicial to determine the problem?  The laptop is brand new, and the touchpad has behaved this way from day 1.

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Mine makes an audible noise each time I click. But it doesn't squeak or physically move while Im using the pad. Although it may be related, I am having the a problems with left clicks. 

Often-times the left click doesnt register even though the pad clicks. I believe I am using just little enough force to make the pad click, but not enough to engage the button. I constantly miss clicks because of this.
Mechanical Failure, Design Flaw or UE?

HP Recommended

This sounds like the same issue I am experiencing.  Mine seems to work functionally just fine, but I hear that noise everytime I top the touchplate with anything other than a very, very light touch.  

HP Recommended

Mine is doing this as well. Anyone have any resolution. I may have to return as it is quite annoying after a while.

HP Recommended

I've had exactly the same experience with my new Spectre x360 (8GB/256GB/Full HD). Such a great convertible Ultrabook, however regarding the touchpad rattling I've had the exact same experience as @TexasGrit. Even the slightest force when touching would make a sound like the trackpad is loose. After some time, it really drove me crazy to listen to this annoying rattle, esp. considering the 'premium' status and price range of this product.

I exchanged it for another and I'm very happy that the second one that I got is much improved. I wouldn't say it's 100% perfect but it's quite stable, it takes considerable force when tapping to produce the 'rattle' compared to the previous one I had. So if yours rattles even with a slight touch, I would urge you to return it. Shame on HP on the QC on what is otherwise an excellent ultrabook.

HP Recommended

Same here.  I purchased mine 3 days ago and actually went back to the store yesterday and talked to the Geeks.  Of course, it wasn't as noticeable in the store, and they saw nothing wrong with it.  I checked out the one on display and it "appeared" to do the same, but it was tough to tell in that atmosphere.  The noise occurs because they've combined the touchpad, which is usally a fixed, static surface with the left/right (mechanical) buttons.  On most of my other laptops, the touch pad and buttons were separate.

Noise aside, I am having an issue with the sensitivity of the pad.  Many times, my first light tap doesn't work onscreen and I have to tap a second time, and often in a different area of the touchpad.  If this continues, I'm bringing it back for a replacement.  But, I fear it is due to poor design and the replacement will do the same.

Too bad, other than this issue, great machine.

HP Recommended

Same issue, missing left clicks when tapping the pad.  Not referring to clicks of the button.  It's annoying.

HP Recommended
Same clicking noise for me. I had to return it. The best buy sales guy said he was not going to open another box for me to check. Also, as the display unit was also making this annoying sound I had to give up. Otherwise, an excellent machine. So stupid of HP to spoil the product. ..
HP Recommended

Couple things. I found that if I pressed down on the right of the frame beside the trackpad it would not rattle. So I decided to try and fix myself.

Not saying anyone should try this but I fixed mine but carefully opening it up and CAREFULLY bending the touchpad upwards slightly. It tooks some time as the first time I did it no rattle but would get stuck after phyiscally clicikng. After 5 or 6 attempts I finally got it and doesn't  rattle anymore.  I also made sure the trackpad screws were good and tight. This is very sad that a 1k computer has such quality issues. It is obviously an issue with how the trackpad or the frame is fit together. Once again not saying anyone should try this as you may break your laptop just wanted to let everyone know what I discovered..

The rattle was pretty much most anoying thing ever. But I wanted a laptop with good pen support and this is one of the few which is why I risked trying to fix it.

Honestly I should have returned it on principal but because of a personal matter I was unable to get to the store during the return period. I did go to bestbuy to see if floor model had rattle and it did..... So sad for what could be a perfect machine. I would definetly not recommend this machine to anyone as I don't expect them to have the capability or the patience to fix it and also they should not have to after dropping 1k.

HP Recommended

Same loose trackpad issue here. Opened the box, got busy setting up the computer, and finally started noticing the loose, and disturbing sounding trackpad. Couldn't believe it. Used to a nice, firm trackpad on a Mac Book Pro. Quite disappointing, and a deal breaker for me. Too bad. As others have already said, this is a very nice machine otherwise. Back it goes.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.