Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Glad you were able to get yours fixed. Sounds like yours didn't need quite as much work as mine. Mine was very loose.

It is a pretty nice machine when it is working.

Matt

HP Recommended

Yeah, my right click is still funny though.. It feels like there is only a small area where it works... 

Also I am having problems with the audio. Its stuttering and popping. You experienced this?

HP Recommended

@mseeds1 wrote:

Yeah, my right click is still funny though.. It feels like there is only a small area where it works... 

Also I am having problems with the audio. Its stuttering and popping. You experienced this?

Probably need to adjust the track pad a bit more maybe losen the screws slightly.

I did not have the stuttering audio problem so that is a new one....

HP Recommended
Mine has started again.... Think I have had enough
HP Recommended

Yeah like I said I would have returned mine if I had the option even though mine is 100% now.

You will probably have better luck with a different machine. I for sure will not recommend HP in the future personally.

HP Recommended
I bought this today and am having the same issue. Finally decided I couldn't handle it (unfortunately already loaded a bunch of software onto it). I took it back to best buy tonight and same issue, they couldn't tell what I was talking about but I could tell that the display one didn't have the issue. I exchanged it for another one hoping it wouldn't be the same... it is This is soo frustrating. I was so excited about everything about this computer and took the leap back from Apple to try it and... fell flat on my face. Thanks HP, this sucks.
HP Recommended

I've had mine for about a month now and it does have this same problem, but not as badly as the Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro.  I had three of them with this same issue, but much, much worse.  I disassemlbed it and was able to bend it to correct the problem, but it didn't last.  I don't know who is designing trackpads these days, but they are not solid.  

So, just a bit of advice if you'r planning to return your x360 -- don't bother with a Yoga 3 Pro if you were considering it.

HP Recommended

You can fix this by sticking a piece of electrical (insulating) tape in the (unwanted) gap between the switch and the top of the pad.

I fixed mine and made a video showing how to do it: https://youtu.be/mKbmz_nnKcI

Not sure how this will affect warranties - I haven't looked at the wording TBH, but usually it's a case of if you as an unauthorized repairer break anything, that damage won't be covered under warranty, which is fair enough. So just be careful! But this fix is entirely non-destructive, so you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

HP Recommended
Do you lot have OCD or what? I think my Ash/Copper with QHD, i7, 8GB, 512GB is fantastic even though there is a small gap between touchpad and switch. I quite like it as it's like a sort of haptic feedback when you tap rather than click. Those who modified (bodged) with tape risk the pad no longer being flush with the case meaning debris will soon get inside. BTW... a friend bought his a few months ago and the touchpad has now settled down and is solid, just be patient. What would bother me a lot more is even a single dead pixel of a scratch on the screen or case. Anyway I use mine more on the desk than lap where I use the superb Logitech T630 touch mouse. There's no way that I'm going to tinker with my Spectre voiding the warranty or send it back for something so minor that isn't really a problem.

If you want to see "poor" quality on a premium device, just look at the uneven yellow tint on nearly all Apple displays with the iPad Mini 2 and 2012 iMac being particularly bad.

Lenovo/Dell? No comment!

Just get over it guys and enjoy this great laptop rather than picking silly faults with it! I'm so glad you're not MY customer. BTW... Well done HP and I wouldn't accept returns for this non-fault if I were you. Some people just can't be pleased.
HP Recommended

Guys,

Sorry, I now know where you're coming from as I had to install 12 of these this morning at work along with 6 X2's and EVERY single Spectre X360 DID have a very loose touchpad as you say (mine was nowhere near as bad) but, the X2's were unaffected. Even 5 of those users complained before I mentioned it so this is a very big issue for HP. Since these aren't my personal laptops, I decided to try the "tape" fix on one and it worked a treat. A colleague and I then did the remaining 11 and they are all now working perfectly with solid touchpads.

However, take extreme care as this is a lot more fiddly than it looks as I broke the touchpad connector the first time but, managed to close it again with a little blob of glue (the user will never know!). You only need to disconnect two cables, one to the right of the battery (white/black wire) and the touchpad ribbon cable (be very careful!).

Make sure you use the best quality T6 bit that you can get your hands on as the cover screws are easily burred if the bit doesn't fit the screw head properly. A jeweller's Phillips will suffice for the remaining screws for removal of battery and trackpad.

Now that I've done 12 of these, I decided to make my own perfect (sorry, I just had to!) which took all of 10min. I used a non-conductive Duct Tape folded sticky-to-sticky underneath the trackpad frame similar to YouTube clip. While I was inside, I added some Loctite to each screw that I took out. I even bent the cover very slightly between the hinges to ensure a perfect fit with no creaks whatsoever. I now have the best Spectre x360 in the World, a happy bunny! 😉

If I didn't have this "practice" beforehand, I would NEVER have attempted this and I would've sent the laptop back to HP if the issue bothered me enough but, mine wasn't too bad and easy to live with. I doubt HP will ever know that I've been inside so warranty should be unaffected.

We also have Dell, Lenovo and Toshiba at work and I still think HP are the best. Put it this way, we have techs supporting Dell or Lenovo (actually employed by HP) visiting daily and we hardly see them work on HP kit, we have about the same amount by each manufacturer and will be 100% HP by the next hardware refresh.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.