Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

The USB connection used for connecting to a printer failed. Trying to fix it I removed the Standard USB Host Controller Port_#0001.Hub_#0009 and as a result the device is now marked as "unknown device" with status= error#43.

How can I fix it?

Thanks, Eitan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

"OK, what exactly do I need to do when in "Programs and Features"?"

Just look in the list for software for your brand of printer, highlight it and then click uninstall at the top.

It will only show up in Programs and features if you Installed the software.

If the printer driver was native to the Operating System and installed one Automatically when you first connected the printer, it needs to be removed in "Printers and Faxes" or Devices and Printers"

By the way what Operating System does your PC have? Vista or W7?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Uninstall the printer software, reboot and install it again.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the prompt reply. I have followed the following steps (from Microsoft support forum) but it didn't solve the problem:

Lets reinstall the USB Controllers.
First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:
1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.
2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers". 
Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.   

All usb driver items restored correctly with the exception of one line that still shows "unknown device", with the following details:

Standard USB Host Controller

Port_#0001.Hub_#0009

Error 43

What else can I do?

HP Recommended

What else can I do?

Try my suggestion

HP Recommended

I did this too, however the USB port is no longer recognized, so I can not assign the printer to a USB port...

HP Recommended

When you did the device manager reinstall was the printer unplugged from the usb port?

Is the printer connected to a USB port on the PC or a USB hub?

HP Recommended

I do not use external USB HUB.

The printer was connected to the USB port.

So I clicked remove to the printer device, disconnected the usb port and reboot. Now the error does not appear in the driver list, but the printer appears again in the printer and fax list (don't know how), so I will download the device manager from the web. Hope I am doing it correctly this time.

HP Recommended

I probably missed something here. When you say "uninstall" the printer device manager, how do you do it?

HP Recommended

@eitan, they uninstalled the usb "controller" in device manager, not the printer, this needs to be done in Control Panel>Programs and Features

HP Recommended

I probably missed something here. When you say "uninstall" the printer device manager, how do you do it?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.