Question

Top Student
Phoenix_123
Message 1 of 6 (9,569 Views)
Accepted Solution

Strange Local Disk Q: has been added to my computer

My new HP Pavilion dv7 for some reason is now showing under Hard Drives "Local Disk (Q:smileyhappy:"    I have no idea where this came from all of a sudden.  I have nothing attached or connected.   It denies access, says it is not acessible.  No matter what I do, I can't explore, delete, check properties etc.   Anyone understand this quirk?  How would I go about getting rid of it. 

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 6 (9,550 Views)

Re: Strange Local Disk Q: has been added to my computer

[ Edited ]

If you have Microsoft Office 2010, that is what is creating the Q Drive. It uses the Application Virtualization (App-V) technology that requires the creation of a Virtual Drive. By default the drive letter for this virtual drive is Q:. in some systems it may use the letter R instead of Q.

This Drive cannot be hidden or deleted....

Here are some links that will give you better understanding of the Click-to-run feature which generates that Q Drive.... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982434 and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2257628

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Top Student
Phoenix_123
Message 3 of 6 (9,538 Views)

Thank you so much the answer.  Your right I had downloaded and installed Office 2010 Home and Student version around the time I noticed Q:.  I just didn't see the connection between them.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 4 of 6 (9,526 Views)

You are always welcome! :smileyhappy:

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Honor Student
Shooz
Message 5 of 6 (1,502 Views)

Help.  I see this is not an uncommon problem.  However, I have Vista no other Oper System, not 2010 or 7.  I want this gone.  I am not comfortable with drives being added w/o my permission and things that I do not have access to on my own computer.  I do have a Pavillion Laptop 9700 Notebook.  Just a quick and dirty to be done with it please?  Thank you!

Honor Student
Shooz
Message 6 of 6 (1,501 Views)

I don't have Windows 2010.  I have the original Vista that came with my laptop.  Would this apply to any oper systems?  thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation