Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Stream 11
OS X

I would like to know if anyone knows the capacity of the SD card reader on the Stream 11.  Also, can I install software there and run it from there.  I've searched HP support, and the HP documentation on the hard drive to no avail. I tried, also, to chat with HP, but its not available.

Thank you in advance.

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi @capemayal ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have looked into your issue about your HP Stream 11 Notebook and concerns with the Digital Media Reader.

HP 2-in-1 multi-format Digital Media Reader Slot with push-push technology. Reads data from and writes data to digital memory cards such as Secure Digital but only supports 32 GB SD cards and not the SDXC cards.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

So what you are saying is the max memery I can use for the Memory Slot is a 32GB Card?  Nothing Bigger???

HP Recommended

Hi @AdvantagePlayer ,

No I am saying that you Notebook only supports 32 GB SD cards and not the SDXC cards. You can use what you want if it work great if not, that is due to the support of your Notebook.  Your system came out before these new cards.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hey @capemayal,

Thinner, lighter design this PC is built for cloud computing meaning storing files to the cloud. This Notebook only supports 32 GB SD cards only. You can not run an OS from the SD cards and software could not run this way as they need to expand to function. Here is a link to the Specs page.

Thanks.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

so are you saying we can use any sd just not sdch or sdxc. I am trying so hard to find a sdcard but there are only sdch. 

HP Recommended

Mrstenter wrote: You can not run an OS from the SD cards

Now, that's not quite true. I'm running Linux (Ubuntu-Mate 16.04 development) off of the SD card.

The only limitation is that I can't boot off the SD card. so I created a small (500 MB) boot partition on the SSD for the Linux bootloader. The whole OS is actually on the SD card.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer.

Too bad you live in a different world than most of us where WiFi coverage is not universal and available all the time.

Cloud storage is OK for backups and stuff you do not need access to whenever using the PC.

Is there any chance someone at HP might wake up and realize it's 2015 and 32 GB isn't enough to allow Windows-10 to do an update?  As I sadly learned this week.

If you have many programs loaded, it is easy to put enough info on the SSHD to make updating Windows 10 impossible so you install to the SD card but you can fill a 32GB SD card if you try to load as many programs as possible onto the SD.

If this is the best you can do then I will have to stop recommending the Stream to friends as I already have had one buy based on my suggestion. Now I have to explain that I made the mistake of expecting more from HP.

The least you can do is stop advertising that people can expect to run Win-10 as it obviously will not be running long if you can't apply the needed security updates to the OS.

HP Recommended

RogerM-Ohio: I must say, I am not thrilled to see that I may not be able to update Win 10 from build 10240 due to lack of space on the SSD. Should this have come as a surprise? Probably not. I've been using WIndows since version 2.0. I know that some updates, including those coming out of Microsoft's Tech Preview program, have required gigabytes of hard drive space. It's also clear that these 2GB/32GB Windows laptops are a direct response to Chromebooks, which basically require cloud access to do anything. I don't want a dumb terminal (which is how I view Chromebooks); I gave them up in the early 1980s. If I had bought my Stream 11 with the intent of running an up-to-date Windows 10 for the next couple of years, I'd be extremely pissed off if I couldn't do it.

HP Recommended
I need to know if the micro SD card can be a micro SDHC. I see that you said SDXC is NOT compatible. It is VERY difficult to find non-HC cards, and they are all a maximum of 4GB. I tired looking on HP Support, but it says there are too many products with my vague specifications. I have an HP Stream PC 13. I am unable to determine any further information about the model number (from Control Panel\System and Security\System). I tried HP assistant, but I cannot download, because I am OUT of SPACE.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.