Question

Student
Lunrael
Message 1 of 2 (199 Views)

Sudden Shutdown due to Overheating

[ Edited ]

I have an 2-3 year old hp dv7 (584037-001) that in the past week has begun to suddenly shut down--straight to a black screen, with a think/clicking noise that I guess is the hard drive immediately stopping.  After this, it immediately or soon will try to restart.  Every now and then, though, it fails, and crashes without a chance to really start up in the same manner as before.  I've been looking around on the forums a bit, and in my search to figure out what was wrong I ran several tests, including:

-Going into the BIOS and running system checks for the Hard Drive and Memory

-using the /sfc scannow function in the comman prompt to check files (I'm sorry I don't know more about this to explain it in more professional terms)

All of these tests have passed or come up clean.  I noticed after a while this week that it nearly always crashed during intensive processes, specifically quite soon after the fan began seriously working.  I found this very odd, however, because up until this point my computer has been capable at running at much higher temperatures for much longer times; the change to this problem was very sudden. 

I should note that my original main fan broke down a few months ago, and I replaced it right away.  Even after the replacement I still received error messages at startup because something was apparently wrong with the fan, but I was told by the people who did the replacement job that this was normal, and beyond that everything seemed to be in working order until this week.

The final piece of information I have comes from an experiment I ran today--I intentionally used a program (minecraft, a game) that I knew would normally require the fan to run at full power, all while monitoring the internal temperature via the Speed Fan program.  The apparent temperature of my core processors pretty quickly shot up from around 50 C to 80 C, and just as the fan began to kick in the computer crashed.  What's strange is that I am in a rather cold room, and more importantly my computer felt much cooler EXTERNALLY than what it was capable of running smoothly on a week ago.  This has been true all this week as well.

Obviously I think something's either wrong with the fan, other temp-control measures within the computer, or the computer's thermometers, though I don't know what and realize I could be totally wrong.  I'll happily supply any additional information anybody would like about the laptop in order to figure out what's going on and what my options are.  Please let me know if you have any advice or ideas.  Thanks!

george-p
Message 2 of 2 (192 Views)

Re: Sudden Shutdown due to Overheating

Hi @Lunrael ,

I saw your post and have forwarded it to the appropriate individuals for their review. Someone will contact you via Private Message on this Forum.

Regards,
George

I work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation