Question

Honor Student
Steph80
Message 1 of 2 (942 Views)

Synaptics Touchpad not working properly

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me with this problem. I have my laptop since more than 2 years and never had a problem with the touchpad. Since yesterday it's all messed up.

Touchpad is enabled and if set on right-handed and buttons and tapping enabled (the standard setting) it reacts as follows: I can continue to move the pointer, scroll and use the right button. I am not able to do tapping anymore and the left button doesn't react.

If I set it on left-handed, tapping starts working again and the right button (now having the function of the left button) works. Still, the left button doesn't react. If I disable the buttons the touchpad itself works properly (scroll, tapping etc).

I have googled and I have tried the following solutions: deinstalling / installing a new Synaptic / Windows driver (downgrading as well), than there was a suggestion to take out your battery and disconnect the power cable - did that as well, have tried enabling/disabling the touchpad - no change after that. I never have a mouse connected but I have now, tried disconnecting, made no difference. The day the error occured I had a Firefox upgrade - downgraded it again, no change. I used pressured air to clean the touchpad + buttons... no change...

I don't think this is a hardware problem because the tapping function, although always enabled, would only work with buttons disabled or with left-hand setting.

I really hope someone has a solution for this, it's driving me crazy!

My laptop is a HP Pavillion DV7 with Windows Vista 32-bit.

Many thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Steph

Honor Student
Steph80
Message 2 of 2 (903 Views)

Re: Synaptics Touchpad not working properly

Is there no one who could help?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation