Question

Honor Student
AZ4221
Message 1 of 8 (3,170 Views)

TC4200 bios password

Im having trouble resetting the bios password on my tc4200 tablet which i traded for and the old user does not know the password. I have removed the CMOS battery and left out for at least 30 minutes and it still asks for an admin password when i try to enter bios. Ive read on a post that i should only power up using the AC adapter and leave the battery out but i dont see how that would change anything.

The reason im trying to get into the bios is due to my laptop not receiving the new composite battery i recently bought for it. It charged it up but it did not recognize it as the main battery and even on a full charge it goes into hibernation a little while later after i unplug it. Id like to hear any suggestions on how i can get my battery to work but my main concern is getting into bios for any future needs of it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

Grad Student
topmahof
Message 2 of 8 (3,139 Views)

Re: TC4200 bios password

Make sure the main battery is out. Unplug the AC adapter.  Take out the cmos battery. Hold the power button down for at least 30 seconds to drain the capacitors and leave it sit overnight.  Then plug in the ac adapter only and see if it comes on.    

Did someone help you? Pay it forward. Help someone else.
NC4400, TC4400 Win 7 Ultimate, xp pro, both dual boot
a bunch of thinkpads
Grad Student
topmahof
Message 3 of 8 (3,126 Views)

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01041142/c01041142.pdf

page 1.2. resetting.

Did someone help you? Pay it forward. Help someone else.
NC4400, TC4400 Win 7 Ultimate, xp pro, both dual boot
a bunch of thinkpads
Honor Student
AZ4221
Message 4 of 8 (3,114 Views)

I have taken out the rtc battery like you said and left out all night, plugged in the ac adapter, and i am still asked for an admin password to get into bios. Could the previous user, which i have no contact with, integrate the password into the bios without being powered by the rtc battery? 

Student
victor94me
Message 5 of 8 (3,104 Views)

I know some methods to reset bios password.
1. The best and easiest method: Close OS and shut down the electricity power of computer. Open your computer box, take out the cmos battery from the mainboard. Then the bios password will be reset to blank. Put it back after a few minutes.

2. Follow some  tutorials. For example the tutorials:
Bypass BIOS Password or Crack CMOS Password

Top 3 methods to crack bios password!

3. Use the bios password recovery tool , but that is not free!

So I would suggest you the 1st method. Hope it helps.

Honor Student
viperado
Message 6 of 8 (1,660 Views)

[ Edited ]

To reset TC4200 bios, remove ram memory cover located at the back of pc, remove ram module and carefully remove the clear plastic insulation on motherboard. look closely you will see CMOS_CLR1 JUMPER. Short this jumper for about 30 seconds and thats it. password removed

Student
atoi2008
Message 7 of 8 (1,525 Views)

Do you have to do the entire thing to take out the RTC battery and then do the jumper when it's out? What a pain in the butt, have to take the entire board out, and it's on the bottom. Not sure what genius decided that be the best place for a battery...
Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 8 of 8 (1,503 Views)

Hello atoi2008.

Another option is to ask in this thread.

Have a lovely day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation