TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633M Drive problems (30189 Views)
Top Student
nmguy
Message 1 of 25 (30,189 Views)

TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633M Drive problems

I have an HP Pavilion dv7-1426nr with a TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633M drive. Windows 7, 64bit, 8gb memory.

I purchased my system in Sept 09 and everything worked great the first 3 months. I started having intermittent problems reading CD's and DVD's. The problem coninued, with additional problems writing CD's and DVD's, again, an intermittent problem. After I upgraded from Vista 32 Home Premium to Windows 7 64bit in Jauary, the problems went away, until about 2 weeks ago. The problem has returned.  I have no other problems with the system, relative to hardware or software problems, never have had any other problem with the system ! ! !

I've looked at everything I can find on this site, and Microsoft. I've tried every possible solution, short of doing a complete clean re-install. I had to do that when I upgraded from 32bit Vista to 64bit WIn 7 in January, and really don't want to do it again.

I've read similar posts on Microsoft and other web sites about the TS-L633M, in Compaq, Toshiba and other brands of laptops, with people having similar problems. The best I've gotten from Microsoft is them telling me to update the "firmware" on the drive.  I have the latest that is available from the Mfg...  and nothing else has worked.

Doesn' anyone have a clue as to where to go from here.......?

Honor Student
MrDV7user
Message 2 of 25 (30,154 Views)

Re: TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633M Drive problems

[ Edited ]

I've got the same problem, my dvd drives name is the same as yours except my dvd drives name has a L instaed of an M. I've sent it to HP for a repair, they said they would fix it. When I got it back they didnt do anything I'm still stuck with the same problem. From what information I've gathered from the internet it's going to need to be replaced.

EDIT: My laptops a HP Pavillion 1211tx

Top Student
nmguy
Message 3 of 25 (30,148 Views)

Believe it or not, today, I contacted HP again, and got them to replace my Drive. They shipped a replacement, with instructions on how to change it out, and a prepaid shipping box to send the old one back to them. It should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

I've worked on PC's since the 80's, desktops and laptops, and was convinced the drive was bad after doing everything I know to do to diagnose the problem, and doing everyting HP and Microsoft has available. 

I've read to many other problems with the same drive model, as well as a similar one, the TS-L632 series, that people have been having problems with for the past 3-4 years, regarless of the computer brand.  I think the drives are just CHEAP drives, that go bad.

You need to press them to replace the drive, by sending you a replacement, as they are doing with me. They aren't difficult to change out. On my system, I think there are only 2-3 screws to removed, and pull the drive out. Not a big or complicated operation.

Grad Student
nascar4u
Message 4 of 25 (30,132 Views)

from you description of the issue it sounds more like software thanhardware. do you use Itunes or Norton 360?

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
Top Student
nmguy
Message 5 of 25 (30,130 Views)

NO, I don't use either program, Norton 360 or iTunes. I use McAfee, and nothing but windows media player for music. I have MS Office, Adbobe Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, a few other programs I use for school, along with the software provided by HP when the system was new, less what I uninstalled and didn't want. I use the system primarily for my PhD program classes, mostly MS Office. There is nothing on the system that should be causing the types of problems I'm having.

I can go into the startup config, and turn off almost everything close down anything that is running, and still have the same problem.  I am very familiar with Windows. Until 8 years ago, I wrote applications for Windows, primarily custom business related software. Thanks for the thought, but I'm sure that it's not software software related

Grad Student
nascar4u
Message 6 of 25 (30,125 Views)

does the dvd/cd show up in device manager?

click Kudos to say thanks if I helped
Honor Student
tallenskinny
Message 7 of 25 (29,301 Views)

I am currently having the same problems

-Will not burn and type of cd or dvd

- Used Microsoft's Fix it thing

- Deleleted the device then scanned for hardware changes still nothing!!

this is pissin me off

Top Student
nmguy
Message 8 of 25 (29,298 Views)

How old is your system?  Mine was still under warrantee, and HP replaced my drive. Well, they sent me a replacement and I replaced it, but it solved the problem. The drive they sent was from a different manufacturer than the original. So far it's working great. I had problems with the original, after only a month. not continous, but off and on, more often, the longer I had it.

If you're still under waranty... go after HP for a replacement drive..............

Honor Student
tallenskinny
Message 9 of 25 (29,298 Views)

I am still under warranty its just such a hassle but I guess I have to do it Thanks
Top Student
nmguy
Message 10 of 25 (29,272 Views)

Getting a replacement drive and putting it in was not much of a hastle, compared to all the frustration and time I spent trying to resolve the problem.

The drive can be changed very easily, once you get it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation