Question

Honor Student
bachrock
Message 1 of 5 (5,635 Views)

Taking off the Keyboard

Hello,

My hp laptop froze, so I restarted it.  The screen remained black, so I restarted again and got the same result.

I think the cable that connects the screen is loose.  So I need to remove the keyboard to plug that cable back in.

Could someone help me with instructions for removing the keyboard in a way that won't damage the structure of my laptop (a friend did this before and deformed part of the plastic case).

Thanks,

Hans

Professor
Charles001
Message 2 of 5 (5,622 Views)

You really should read the maintanence and service manual for your specific model of notebook.

Many models, there should be screw(s) on the back with a "keyboard" sign by it.Remove it first. On the top sides, there should be a few small latches, release them using your fingernail or something, then lift the keyboard -- becareful not to damage the flexcable under.
======================================================================================
* I am an HP employee. *

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

***Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***
Intern
Gary_R
Message 3 of 5 (5,605 Views)

Re: You really should read the maintanence and service manual for your specific model of notebook.

Go to HP's drivers & support page for your model and find the MAINTENENCE MANUAL. It will descripe in words and images how to completely take your laptop apart. DO NOT attempt it with out the manual as things must be done in a certain order to get at the screen cable connection (or anything else for that matter) and the order is anything but obvious. I've done it on 2 or 3 different make/model laptops and always had good results using the maint manuals.
Honor Student
bachrock
Message 4 of 5 (5,597 Views)

Re: Taking off the Keyboard

The model I have is the dv6700.  The manual can be found here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295877.pdf

I'm following the steps, but the first thing I notice is that picture doesn't match up when it talks about removing 4 screws.  I removed 2 screws and a third which had the keyboard icon next to it, but I can't move the keyboard at all.  A friend did this repair before and mentioned there being about 5 latches I needed to take care of on the keyboard side.  This isn't mentioned in the manual.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially help within the next hour.

Thanks,

Hans

Honor Student
bachrock
Message 5 of 5 (5,590 Views)

Re: Taking off the Keyboard

I've removed the keyboard and now need to find "the cable from the mobo to the video card".  Anyone know where that would be?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation