Question

Top Student
AdamH
Message 1 of 4 (7,211 Views)

Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface "This device cannot start" on HP HDX X16-1007TX

This doesn't seem to be causing me any problems but I am curious as to what this warning in device manager relates to and if it's something I should worry about.

The warning says "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

The driver is from Microsoft, version 6.0.6000.16386, the device description is: "Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter"

I am running factory installed Vista Home Premium, the system is pretty new and unmodified so I was surprised to see the warning.

Any help appriciated.

Honor Student
hp-s
Message 2 of 4 (6,072 Views)

Re: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface "This device cannot start" on HP HDX X16-1007TX

[ Edited ]

Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter #2  --- (code 10)

did u ever get an answer to this problem?  i got my nb around the same time you posted this msg & have had the problem since then.  i tried asking hp but they were useless.  3 hours well wasted for nothing so i gave up looking for a solution, but it still bugs me & i've always wondered... i dont even know what it is for.  do u?

i think it's the same issue.  i do not see any labels or anything close to "taredo tunneling" on mine.  maybe it's the same thing or even related; i have no idea. however it is the same error and everything else is the same also. 

the info on the one i'm referring to is under the network adapters section of the device mgr.  name: 'microsoft tun miniport adapter #2' - i get the 'yellow triangle(!)' symbol.  when i open its properties under device status it says the same as yours: "this device cannot start. (code 10), click "check for solutions"...".  i do & i got a pop-up that says that it couldnt upload the driver software....  under the driver tab i get the same info, date & version as u: provider: MS, date: 06.21.06 & version: 6.0.6002.18005.  i click the update driver button & the result is that it appears to "be up to date".

i've had a few wireless network connectivity problems but i have no idea if it is even related to this since problems usually go away alone or if i do a router|ip address reset until it happens again.

yours is the only entry that comes up on the hp search here. it doesnt even come up in the troubleshooting | support | drivers | updates | etc... sections.  i did one online but the stuff that came up was so complicated that kind of made me wanna run away screaming!! 

on my very brief online search last year, it appeared to be a pretty common problem since there were many entries of people asking for assistance and no answers or if there were any answers or "solutions" there were not helpful at all.  i'd like to know the reason why if this is such an important|common issue, even though is from a MS adapter, it's happening to HP pcs, nbs, etc & i shouldnt be surprised by HP's reaction & @ least some "feedback" on this matter.  but really i just cant understand why their support team or "experts" havent written anything about it or at least shown that theyre making a little effort to find something instead of showing that theyre clueless about this issue as well as many others.

if u heard anything or know how to solve it or where i could look for a solution, would u plz reply? 

thx so much!

Top Student
AdamH
Message 3 of 4 (6,053 Views)

Re: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface "This device cannot start" on HP HDX X16-1007TX

[ Edited ]

No I never resolved the problem, still have the same warning in device manager but my computer is working fine. 

I think it is a software glitch leading to incorrect error reporting (because the problem seems to be a common one) 

Additionally, I suspect that a lot of people think that this is causing them a problem when in fact it isn't simply because when they do get a problem with their system and look in device manager (possibly for the first time) they see this error and think it is the cause of whatever their problem is when (most probably) it has been reporting the same error since their system was new.

I did a lot of searching around for a solution and got nowhere, found some less than helpful information like this from microsoft and a lot of people saying 'you need to re-install/update your driver' which is not the case and doesn't help. 

A lot of 'experts' (eg here) recommended disabling IPv6 (in TCP/IP settings) and the DHCP Broadcast Flag (this doesn't fix this issue but it will fix other issues which can prevent Vista from connecting to wi-fi networks - if that's your problem; then it is worth looking at this fix) but it won't stop the error from showing in device manager.

One thread which claims to have a solution is here - it says is the cause of the problem is a software call to a 'virtual device' that doesn't exist however the fix is a bit scary requiring you to manually delete quite a few registry keys and i decided that it really wasn't worth the risk (or the hassle of) of messing around in the registry to that degree, also the fix refers to Win XP SP2 and although the problem is likely the same the registry keys might not be.

If you decide to try the registry fix, I would be very interested to know how you get on.

In the end I decided just to ignore the problem......

Student
krubio84
Message 4 of 4 (5,918 Views)

has anyone found the answer to this my computer will not connect to the internet wirelessly anymore.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation