The pointing stick device on the Elitebook 2740p doesn't work (2455 Views)
Honor Student
ex-lex
Message 1 of 4 (2,455 Views)

The pointing stick device on the Elitebook 2740p doesn't work

[ Edited ]

Hello everybody! Please, help: the pointing stick and its buttons don't work at all. I think it's a driver problem because I can't find a proper driver, only a touchpad driver which nothing resolves. What can I do to make it work?

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 4 (2,435 Views)

Re: The pointing stick device on the Elitebook 2740p doesn't work

[ Edited ]

If the touchpad works but not the pointer stick try going into the BIOS (F10 on power up) and see if you can enable/disable dual pointing devices. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

I do not see that there is a setting in the BIOS for dual pointing devices. You might also try going into the Windows Control Panel and check the Mouse settings to see if there is anything there which can enable/disable dual pointing devices.

I can tell you it is not a driver issue as the pointer stick works through basic Windows drivers even before you install the HP driver for the touchpad, which should provide enhanced function (e.g. scrolling) on the pointer stick and its buttons, too. Pointer sticks can go bad and the ribbon cable that connects them to the mobo can get disconnected too. It is not too hard to remove the keyboard and make sure everything is hooked up right.

Honor Student
ex-lex
Message 3 of 4 (2,430 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply! In the BIOS there is no option for dual pointing devices and in the control panel too. So it probably cable disconnect, because the notebook recently returned from the repair (pointer stick worked properly before it!).

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 4 (2,403 Views)

It is very easy to forget to hook that ribbon cable back up when you are reassembling the laptop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation