Question

Top Student
hallsgator
Message 1 of 51 (54,352 Views)

Touch Pad and left click not working

Yesterday, my touchpad and left clicker stopped working. They were working fine and then all of the suddon, they just stopped working. The little scroll bar still works on the touchpad but I can't use it to click on anything.

I have a dv4-1125nr with Windows 7 64bit update.

Thanks!

Honor Student
Vecdid
Message 2 of 51 (54,338 Views)

Re: Touch Pad and left click not working

We have this same problem, all five laptops in our company running windows 7 and windows vista left mouse button and the touchpad click isn't working, tried a system restore and reinstall of drivers and still not working, what is going on.

Top Student
hpnewster
Message 3 of 51 (54,241 Views)

I have the same problem with a dv4t 1500 and an Alps touchpad; tap and left button suddenly stopped working, but scroll and right click, and external mouse all fine. Occasionally tap will work if I uninstall the driver and restart-- just once. Restart twice and it's back to malfunctioning. So, that leads me to think it's a driver issue, and obviously a common one. System restore rollback, uninstalling any possible conflicting software, different available drivers on HP site all failed to fix it. So, HP moderators, got an answer??

Student
chicagal
Message 4 of 51 (54,190 Views)

My left click stopped working on the 20th.  I can scroll and use the right click, but not the left.  I hate having to plug in a mouse!  I am very disappointed with my dv4.

Tutor
Fjguercio
Message 5 of 51 (54,178 Views)

DV4-2049  brand new out of box...

The left click will not work to highlight text, copy, paste.   The tap and rt click, window pull down, work fine.  

Funny...  the story matches all of you.   Wanted to remove/install driver, I suggested we look for issues first or ck the dates of drivers.   Seemed to hose my EXPLORER window and speed.   Then the bios change and I said should we ck the dates/Revs and we moved forward.   No reading of fix, or this has been issue and I asked many times is this a issue.   I also saw this on the store demo unit when I was cking them out.  NO REPLY.... wish I looked here first and pushed to talk to tech/svc manager.

Phone help tried to take over my computer and link/web would not work it failed!!

Tech also wanted me to do system restore and I declined.   I replied I have not loaded anything yet, only updated Norton and did a little web searching, windows update, HP update.   I also looked at the pad and button settings ... found nothing I missed.   I called them incase there was odd box/set I missed.   I hate being lied to, they know from I am reading here... two threads so far and 2-3 people on each.    I did not want to restor.... nothing is changed.... do not want to exersise the Hard Drive.   Asked her to research problem and find the fix... rather than just keep changing stuff.   The bios was flashed for the same bios rev.  

While doing this work with tech.... the pointer went to top and not moved from top right.   The parts of screen starting to flash, the curser would lock, IExplorer got very slow... to 30 sec to load the internet page vs 2 sec

I also just found..... you can switch the fuctions of rt/left button and still copy paste.   But the left button will not pull down the pull down windows.   What a mess!

You can go to system information and print of your currrent list of soft and hard.   That will tell you what is up todate and what is not.   

Top Student
hpnewster
Message 6 of 51 (54,066 Views)

even with new info from me about drivers sometimes solving half the problem, another call to HP support gave me the exact same response I got before (from the script they are surely given) and what I expected them to insist on -- send it back because they are sure it must be a hardware issue and probably they will have to perform system recovery -- erasing all my information and settings. Of course, that's the easiest solution for them, although I don't see how this is a hardware issue, and clearly not a good solution for consumers who spend money and countless hours getting a new laptop set up. The answer is to get drivers that work with the computer and Windows 7 64 bit, but apparently they don't have that fix yet.

Before I agree to the doomsday solution, has anyone with this problem had success getting their touchpad fixed by sending it back to HP?

Student
zachrodis
Message 7 of 51 (53,708 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have the same sort of problem as well, the left click doesn't work. It just stopped working one day. The right click still works and I can still move the pointer around.

Even when you change the left click function by putting it on the right button of the touchpad, it doesn't work, so it can't be the button itself. 

The touchpad tap-click doesn't work and neither does the scrolling.

A regular mouse plugged in via USB works just fine, but it can be rather inconvenient when you are travelling and don't have a flat area to use the mouse. 

So since it isn't the physical button, and a external mouse works fine, the only thing I could think of it being is the driver.

So i installed the latest driver, i didnt work. I re-installed it. still nothing. 

What is up HP?

Top Student
hpnewster
Message 8 of 51 (53,651 Views)

Switching functions worked for me -- in part, and might be a short-term solution for some. I switched the touchpad functions to have the right button click and set the left button to shortcut menu . The right button now clicks as it should, but the left button still does nothing. But, since the touchpad does move the cursor, using that setup and the keyboard shortcut menu button for any needed right click functions lets me use the laptop without an external mouse.

But it also shows it might be at least in part a hardware issue so I am going to have to ship it off, I fear. There are obviously still driver issues since the touchpad does tap sometimes, but what can ya do? It's under warranty so I have to obey their decision on solutions.

Student
calishopper99
Message 9 of 51 (53,414 Views)

I am experiencing all of the above. I almost think it is the button itself, not the driver. My left button actually sits lower than the right button and does not have the same "click" feeling as the right button. Is this something I should send my laptop in for? Will they charge me?

Top Student
hpnewster
Message 10 of 51 (53,396 Views)

If your computer is under warranty, should be no charge. I just shipped mine off today. Fingers crossed all goes well.

I advise that you call customer service to make sure of your warranty status, BUT expect to spend an hour or longer on the phone trying various solutions you have probably already tried yourself or tired with another customer service rep several times if you've called before, and also be prepared to have to go through the system recovery process at the end if nothing fixes the issue. That process takes another hour or so. It will wipe your computer clean -- back to day one status. So, back up your data on an external hard drive with Windows backup, AND make a system image and I'd make simple copies of any data (docs, pics, music) you care about finding again or might need to look at while your laptop is being fixed (the backup program isn't like a folder to open and view.) Then, you will be given information and shipped a box to send in your computer free of charge, too.

Good luck. I think we'll all need it :   )

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation