Question

Tutor
HPUser9056
Message 1 of 7 (698 Views)
Accepted Solution

TouchSmart tx2 digitizer pen acts like it is out of "ink"

Hi,

I have a TouchSmart tx2 1370us that has a digitizer pen.  I am not sure if the pen or the display hardware for the pen is going bad.  The best way to describe what I am seeing is like when a real pen is about to run out of ink. When you write you get a bit of ink and then nothing then ink again.  

I would like to be able to determine if it is the pen or the display hardware that is failing.

I have tried the following.

Installed Windows 7: same results

Installed windows 8: same results

Note: each install of Windows has been a fresh new install.  Not upgrades or "fix" the install.

I am pretty confident it is not a driver issue as the result has been the same.  I have tried with drivers and without the digitizer drivers.  Windows supports the pen without the manufacture drivers.  honestly I have the best results in response time without the drivers letting windows's default drivers support the pen.

I know the display does not have any "dead" spots as the pen is able to function in all areas of the screen but eventually it will stop writting on the screen for a bit and stutter a bit and then resume writing.  The cursor will disappear at the same time.  During this pen failure the touch and mouse continue to function.

The fault has rendered the pen usless at this time and I would like help to determine if the pen is faulty and possibly a new pen.  I am thinking HP would be a good source to find out as there might be a previous case or solution in the hp database. I have not been able to find a solution from the consumer side.

-thanks

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 7 (676 Views)

Re: TouchSmart tx2 digitizer pen acts like it is out of "ink"

I was going to ask if the "skip" always happens at the same place but you have answered that negative so I agree it is not dead places in the digitizer. You have tried all driver combinations so by application of logic it has to be the pen. I know they are pricey but you will not know for sure what the problem is until you try a new pen. A new pen is much cheaper than a new display and as stated with a high degree of certainty it is not the display. I am also assuming there are no other artiifacts (weird colors or lines or anything) in the display panel.

Tutor
HPUser9056
Message 3 of 7 (665 Views)

I may look into getting a new pen to see if this might resolve my issue.  I have found n-trig does have a newer driver released for Windows 8.  I have tried it but still had the same result.  I have since uninstalled the driver reverting to Windows default driver for the pen.  

It has been performing better although I could have temporarily improved the tip's connection in the pen by pressing really hard upon the tip during my recent testing.  

I will try to update this thread if I eventually resolve my issue with the pen.  Perhaps it will just go away although the issue has peristend for many months now.

There is one more anecdotal item I am going to keep track. I am going to see if the system up time has any impacts to the pen's performance.

Teacher
RobAld
Message 4 of 7 (622 Views)

[ Edited ]

Where were you testing?   FWIW I have a tx2-1360ca so I assume the same pen and it has always seemed "scratchy" to me with too fine a point.  So today, in response to your question, I started looking at the available options.  I first tried using the Journal because I remembered that I had most satisfactory pen use in it.   I thought that was because I had noticed that the nib size was adjustable in there and sort of confirmed that idea, e.g. it seems smoother writing with a larger point.  And now I have found that the TIP Tools menu Options, Handwriting tab has the same feature.  Who knew?

Thanks for making me find this!   ;  )

Please tell us if you buy a new pen and if that fixes your problem.   <eg>

Good luck

Robert

[edited for privacy]
---

Tutor
HPUser9056
Message 5 of 7 (519 Views)

I have not had luck finding a new pen.  When I go to HP's hardware for the laptop that I have I do not see the N-Trig Pen available to purchase and I have not been able to find where to purchase a new N-Trig Pen.

The software I have been using is Microsoft OneNote 2010.  The best note taking software.

My pen continues to draw spotty lines at times.  It works then doesn't work.  There was a brief period of time it worked without problems but now it is back creating spotty lines.

Robert, I am glad you have reconnected with your device and its ben.  Personally I like the thinner lines as I prefer to write smaller :smileyhappy:

Tutor
HPUser9056
Message 6 of 7 (518 Views)

Another antidotal evidence observed is the cursor that appears when using the pen disappears when the pen begins the "not inking" issue.  Much like when you lift the pen away from the screen far enough the hover is not enabled.

While I write with the pen it stops writing and the cursor disappears.  Then short time after it will resume writing but will not  have recorded the pen stokes while it was not inking.

Tutor
HPUser9056
Message 7 of 7 (463 Views)

I have purchased a replacement pen and so far things are working correctly.  So far the issue appears to have been the pen.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation