Question

Student
TheDirector217
Message 1 of 2 (1,461 Views)

Touchpad Left Button Not Working. Replace?

I have an HP Pavilion dv6700 CTO Laptop running Vista Home Ultimate. The p/n is KL090AV. It is 2.5 years old & out of warranty. The issue is my touchpad. I spilled a small amount of beer on it maybe 2 weeks ago. After a day or two of malfunctioning, the touchpad is now working (with maybe a millisecond of lagging as far as touch sensitivity), as is the right click function. The problem is that the left click button does not work at ALL. No responsiveness at all. The device manager states that the device is working properly, so it is not a driver issue. I tried a driver reinstall/uninstall to no avail. I would like to replace the touchpad, as I do not want to use an external mouse. From what I have seen I must purchase a new top display (HP Part #446509-001), as my machine was custom built with a fingerprint reader. Is it possible for me to replace just the touchpad with used parts from a dv6000 (HP Part #446508-001 or HP Part# 431416-001)? And how would I go about doing so? Do I have to replace the entire top cover or can I simply replace just the touchpad, or even better somehow replace only the left button, as that is the only unresponsive part on my PC?

PhD Student
Knute
Message 2 of 2 (1,398 Views)

Re: Touchpad Left Button Not Working. Replace?

You would have to replace the whole touchpad as there is a ribbon cable connected.  I feel you on the beer too, dropped a Miller Lite in my Macbook once, opps!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• I Love Kudos! If you feel my post has helped you please click the White Kudos! Star just below my name
  • If you feel my answer has fixed your problem please click 'Mark As Solution' and make it easier for others to find help quickly

• † The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation