Touchpad buttons so hard (3576 Views)
Student
jdomingos76
Message 1 of 13 (3,576 Views)

Touchpad buttons so hard

I just bought a new notebook dv2 1000ep to my wife, but I find the touchpad buttons so hard and heavy, needing so much pressure from the hand. It's almost impossible to work more that half an hour with the touchpad.

I own an older dv6510ep and the difference to my wife's dv2 touchpad is huge! My touchpad buttoms are much softer.

I wonder if this is normal to this model (dv2)? Or is a case of a faulty notebook?

Thanks
Jorge Domingos
Student
aamackie
Message 2 of 13 (3,520 Views)

Re: Touchpad buttons so hard

I have a DV5-1008TU notebook and after using it constantly for a year, my index finger is beginning to have chronic pain from pressing the left touchpad button - I forget about it each morning but after an hour or so of use it begins to bother me.

So I've come to the same conclusion as you, Jorge - the pressure required to depress and hold the touchpad button is far too high, and it will need to be a factor in my decision when purchasing my next laptop.

HP, is there anything you can do for us? Can a service center lower change the spring for one with a lower spring rate or similar? And can you please consider this for your new laptops?

Regards,

Andrew 

Tutor
jondeak
Message 3 of 13 (3,502 Views)

I agree...I just got the DM3 and the touch pad buttons are very hard to push. I think HP needs to hire a new design team for the touch pad....seems like all complaints keep coming back to the touch pad !!!!!!!!!!!!
Honor Student
Ro88an
Message 4 of 13 (3,284 Views)

I also agree on this. It is also annoying that it leads to a very loud click noise. Usually I would not have tap enabled on the pad (which I find impossible to calibrate correct). But with these way too tough buttons I have to use the tap function. I sucks and HP should learn and do it right.

/Robert

Message 5 of 13 (2,884 Views)

Just got the DV6 delivered today... It was the first thing I noticed, and my hard already hurts after only a few hours.

This is a joke! I feel like a moron for not trying this out first, but come on.. it's 2010! I would expect a trivial issue like this to have dissapeared years ago. Heck, my 7 year DV4000 mousepad keys are a breeze compared to this thing. I normally use an external mouse, but sometimes that's nt an option, and I realize that my life will be hell when those times arise (i.e., waiting at the airport, riding as a passenger, etc.).

Seriously considering a return, and never returning... 

What a bummer, HP... what a bummer.

Student
mperloe
Message 6 of 13 (2,842 Views)

Just got my wife an HP dv6t laptop. Unfortunately, I did not try it before hand. I spend a bundle. She won't use it because the Touchpad buttons are too hard to use. This is ridiculous.

Student
Dissattisfied
Message 7 of 13 (2,688 Views)

I bought a dv6z notebook online from HP.  The touchpad buttons require nearly FIVE pounds of force (I measured it). This makes the touchpad nearly unusable. I called HP's  tech support in India, and they decided that it must be defective, so I returned it (under warranty).  The repair center said that this was  normal for  this model, and   returned it back to me.

Doesn't HP have anythying resembling quality control? How did such a junky design ever get out their door?

I'll never do business with HP again.

Don

Student
Boojie
Message 8 of 13 (2,413 Views)

Agree with everyone here.  I bought a DV6 for the girlfriend for Christmas.  The touchpad buttons are the deal breaker.  That single issue has me regretting the purchase since it was a gift and now she's forced to use it.  There is no setting in the software to adjust the force needed to depress the button. 

I was on the fence between the DV6 and a Gateway.  On a whim, I chose the DV6.  I regret it.  I'm stuck with it.  But I won't make the same mistake in the future by purchasing an HP laptop. 

Honor Student
dfence
Message 9 of 13 (2,384 Views)

I received my new DV7  laptop as a direct build to  order from HP and  from what I have seen so far, it is a $1400 DOWNGRADE from all my old HP computers.  Function keys that were on the old  laptops are not present,  The touch pad is loud,  VERY HARD TO USE,   the curser is always off one digit, and often I have to click the  touch pad many times to get the blasted thing to respond.  First Hp computer I've had that I have been un happy with in 20 years, and I am UNHAPPY!  HP,  CONTACT ME IF THERE IS A FIX FOR THIS THING.  I am so UNHAPPY that I have just sold the second computer I purchased on EBAY with the box never opened.  This blasted thing makes my fingers hurt to use and i can't imagine my wife trying.  Oh, and whatever chinese toxin you make the touchpad out of now leaves a very bitter taste on your fingers so you CANNOT snack  or eat an apple and use the computer.

Honor Student
dfence
Message 10 of 13 (2,384 Views)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation