Question

Tutor
McWheels
Message 1 of 6 (1,605 Views)

Touchpad "tapping" issue

Hello all, newbie here with a Pavilion dv6-2190us running Win 7/64.  It's about 8 months old now and it has had an issue with the touchpad operation from day one.  I have been working with HP Support and they have had me re-install the drivers and adjust settings but nothing has changed what this thing does.  Now they want me to do a complete system recovery and I am hesitating because I have this set up just the way I like it and I hate to have to go through that again.  I already have over a 100GBs of stuff which I do back up on an external drive but it is still a chore to start over.

The problem is that once in a while, (approximately every 5 to 20 taps), instead of the touchpad registering my "tap" as a tap, the cursor jumps about an inch away from where it was.  That makes double-clicking on things very interesting because most often, the second tap of the double-tap sends the cursor to a new spot on the screen and occasionally registers as a tap on the wrong thing.

I have tried playing with the sensitivity, moving it both directions a bit and also to the extremes.  All the adjustments and the touchpad itself works as expected except for this one issue. 

I looked through the various posts on touchpad problems but I didn't see anything that looked like it covered my kind of issue.  Basically, the touchpad and the entire laptop works perfect except for the occasional "mis-tap", that I like to call it.  I suspect it could be a hardware issue with the touchpad but it may be software.  It is like the touchpad registers a "tap" as what you might expect to happen if you "flicked" your finger on the touchpad causing the cursor to jump to a new location.  It is usually about one to two inches from the intended location and it is not like you can "see" the cursor move but more like a sudden jump.

Sorry for rambling but I hope I provided enough info.  Any ideas would really be appreciated, thanks. 

Tutor
Spirko
Message 2 of 6 (1,572 Views)

Re: Touchpad "tapping" issue

Does your laptop have a Clickpad (buttons smoothly integrated with the touch surface)?  Are you clicking with the left button? If so, the Clickpad may think you're sliding a finger to the bottom corner when you go to click.

I suggest going into the Clickpad properties using the "Advanced Filters" at the bottom to restrict pointing and tapping to the zone above the bottom buttons.  You may want to change the "Starting Zone Size" as well.

Tutor
McWheels
Message 3 of 6 (1,564 Views)

I thought about the possibility of accidental tapping in a "scroll zone" area of the touchpad and have resized those several times.  But my actual "buttons" are separate metallic looking buttons below the touch surface.  The buttons have a distinctive detent to them and I use them for all my clicking if I'm doing something like my banking.  I have used touch pads for, well, since they had them I guess.  And I'm accustom to the erratic movements most touch pads make if you tap in the scroll zones and such. 

The one thing that I have been able to determine is that no matter what sensitivity I use, the cursor jump is mostly always the same distance and usually in a general downward direction, often slightly to the left but once in a while, off to the lower right.

I now have "Coasting" with "Momentum" turned on because I like the effect.  I have it set so I can bounce the cursor into the corner and catch it coming back to point to something across the screen.  It's really cool and it has absolutely no effect at all on the problem issue other than instead of cursor "jumps"  I now get the same jump but with an included glide of an additional two or three inches of cursor movement.  On a busy webpage, you can loose track of the cursor real easy.

But nothing has changed what this thing does.  That's why I'm beginning to think this is a hardware issue.

Tutor
McWheels
Message 4 of 6 (1,508 Views)

Still looking for an ideas concerning the erratic response from my touchpad when I use the "tap" feature instead of using the left button to click on something.  I was kind of hoping someone had seen this before and found a software fix to cure it.  It can be quite annoying when you are trying to navigate a webpage.  I believe it has not gotten any worse or better since I bought this thing.  I might have some pretty negative things to say about HP laptops if I didn't have several of them that all worked wonderfully.  And even this one works great except for this one problem.

If it is a hardware issue, I am not sure it is bad enough to warrant sending the laptop in for service.  I went through a service nightmare on a Sony laptop after sending it in for warranty repair.  I might just have to live with it and hope it doesn't develop into anything worse.

One thing I might add is that no matter where on the touchpad I tap, the problem is exactly the same.  And you never know when it's going to happen.  The tap might register correctly as a tap or else the cursor will make a fairly predictable jump.  After this much time, I have become accustom to just where the cursor is going to jump to so i can grab it and get back to what I wanted to tap on.  I don't think it has ever happened twice in a row with two consecutive taps so I can eventually click on what I want to.  Just irritating on a busy web page when you are attempting a double-tap and the first tap sends the cursor flying and your finger has already made the second tap of the double tap which usually results in clicking on something you would didn't want to.

Student
yapana
Message 5 of 6 (918 Views)

I have the same exact issue that you described.  I have a 2 month old HP m6-1045dx.  I too have tried changing mouse settings hoping to resolve the issue but no change.  It is a pain. 

Tutor
Spirko
Message 6 of 6 (905 Views)

Did you try cleaning the touchpad? My major issues have disappeared.

I do mindlessly clean it with a shirt sleeve when a minor glitch occurs, but I have no idea how often that is. Having a smartphone makes that as normal as moving something aside in the fridge to get to stuff in the back.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation