Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So as the title states, the touchpad has stopped working entirely. I'm using an HP ENVY m6-1178sa running Windows 8 and it just randomly stopped working while I was on facebook. My USB mouse works absolutely fine.

I've tried restarting, uninstalling/reinstalling and updating drivers, and scoured the internet but nowhere seems to have a decent fix. I'm also 100% sure it isn't locked - the orange light is not on, and I have tried double tapping the white box just in case it was the light that was broken. The actual 'clicker' isn't working either.

Any help would be much appreciated as I really can't use a USB mouse everywhere.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey Stan,

This may actually fix it and it is easy to do:

Notebooks- Power Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues- Sealed Non-Removable Battery

OR

Notebooks - Power Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues - Removable Battery

Why a Power Reset works to fix some issues: 

The Hard Power Reset does not install anything on your computer, it does not remove anything from your computer, and the Reset does not change or update any of the programs on your computer.  Your data and files remain as they were before the reset was applied. 

Why a Power Reset might Not Work:

If the issue is more than just entanglement, if the "good instructions" on the computer are not good enough -- that is, if you need an update, a new driver, or if there is a problem that cannot be "untangled", then the Reset will not work.

If there is a hardware problem the Power Reset will not work.

=====================================================================================

The "standard" stuff about the TouchPad may help, though there are only a limited number of "software" approaches:

Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad (Windows 😎

HP ENVY m6-1178sa Notebook PC Drivers & Downloads

Some of what I know about TouchPads that "don't" is in the following Post -

not everything, of course, but some of the basics are covered:

HP Pavilion TouchPad not working

Good Luck!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

See a Post that is useful - or that teaches you something you did not know?

Your HP Experts are here to help.

Click the Kudos Star!  It is a great “Thank You” for the Author.

Solved?  Click this Post "Accept as Solution" to help others find a Fix.

Year of the Dragon 2012   Year of the Snake 2013

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hey Stan,

This may actually fix it and it is easy to do:

Notebooks- Power Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues- Sealed Non-Removable Battery

OR

Notebooks - Power Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues - Removable Battery

Why a Power Reset works to fix some issues: 

The Hard Power Reset does not install anything on your computer, it does not remove anything from your computer, and the Reset does not change or update any of the programs on your computer.  Your data and files remain as they were before the reset was applied. 

Why a Power Reset might Not Work:

If the issue is more than just entanglement, if the "good instructions" on the computer are not good enough -- that is, if you need an update, a new driver, or if there is a problem that cannot be "untangled", then the Reset will not work.

If there is a hardware problem the Power Reset will not work.

=====================================================================================

The "standard" stuff about the TouchPad may help, though there are only a limited number of "software" approaches:

Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad (Windows 😎

HP ENVY m6-1178sa Notebook PC Drivers & Downloads

Some of what I know about TouchPads that "don't" is in the following Post -

not everything, of course, but some of the basics are covered:

HP Pavilion TouchPad not working

Good Luck!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended
Thanks, seems to be working okay now. Hopefully it doesn't cut out again!
HP Recommended

You are welcome, Stan.

I am glad it helped.

Usually, when this is the "fix", it does "stick" -- your computer is pretty good at keeping itself in working order and it only needs a real "clear out and start over" kind of a reset on occasion.  Keep the instructions; the Power Reset does work for a variety of ills -- not everything, of course -- it is worth keeping in mind when drivers (software that control the hardware) become muddled.

Happy Computing!

Dragon Tips - Windows 8

HP PCs - Backing Up Your Files (Windows 8)

• The “File History” backup in Windows 8 is a very cool new feature that you can set up easily to save backups of your data to an external disk.  For example, you might have a mini-tower, a pocket drive, or a USB drive attached to your computer that you can use for backups.  You can use a NAS (Network Attached Storage) system, if you have one in your (home) office.

Example of a Network NAS drive Address would include the IP address of your local NAS drive, the master folder available for the backup, and perhaps a local folder dedicated for your own files:

\\192.168.0.1\Data\Dragon-Fur_History

The default File History backup catches the files in your “libraries”, contacts, and favorites settings and runs a new updated backup each hour of anything that has been changed, that is, modified - since the last time that data was added to the backup.  Nice.  Under “Advanced settings” you can change the time between backups in various increments from ten minutes to once daily.

You can easily add folders to File History by adjusting which folders are in your “libraries” setting. 

NOTE:  If you have a number of folders in “libraries” that you keep there for your convenience and you do not require those folders to be backed up in File History, you can still “Exclude” those folders from the Backup using the “Exclude” feature.

If space on your external disk is at a premium, consider reducing the number of versions you are keeping.  Under Advanced settings, just to the right side, under where you decide how long to keep your backups, Click on “Clean up versions” > remove anything you can live without.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

my touch pad stops working when ever i press a key on the keyboard, which is really annoying, especially when playing games, but this doesnt happen with a usb mouse. Is there a way to solve this problem?

HP Recommended

Hello simon_lee,

You are stating that the touchpad stops working when you press a key on the keyboard, is that correct? I will be happy to help you.

Can you please provide the full model number of the computer you have, If you are unsure where to locate that information have a look at this link for help if needed.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Hi,

I had the same problem on my envy dv6.

I tried to driver re-install, and the power button long press.

but did not worked.

I tried the windows system restore and i restored my computer to the newest date before i had the problem and it worked.

It does not do harm to try it.

So try it and tell me if it worked.

HP Recommended

please if you can help me to fix my touchpad just as me know ... 🙂

HP Recommended
My envy m6 touchpad response and goes off .... it doesn't work sometimes... pls any help.....???
HP Recommended

you can try the stuff listed here, if did not work so maybe you have a faulty hardware (as mine happened to be), so send it for repair, or repair it yourself if no warranty, there are maintenance pdf documents on HP website that teach you how to remove PC parts for replacements, try it yourself (and you can save some money).

If warranty expires, try to open your PC and check for loose wiring (it can happen), try to cleam the hardware and the plug,   if nothing works so buy a new mouse pad.

sorry for that, it sucks.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.