Question

Top Student
IanMat
Message 1 of 12 (306 Views)
Accepted Solution

Touchpad stopped working and weird keyboard issue

Hi, I have a dv6426ca and while using it the touchpad stopped working. I restarted, still nothing. Rollbacked to a windows update a few days ago, still nothing. Reinstalled driver and it still doesn't work.

If the lap sits for 10 minutes without being used the keyboard stops working. A restart is required for it to work again. Both these issues do not carry over to USB keyboards / mice.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 2 of 12 (279 Views)

Re: Touchpad stopped working and weird keyboard issue

Hello IanMat,

I understand your touchpad stops working off and on, I also see you done a little bit of troubleshooting on your own which is well appreciated.

First piece of information I would like to get is, what current bios version you have currently installed.  If you’re not sure how to locate that click on this link, once you open the link start at step1 and work your way down.

Once you are able to locate that information please share that with me.

Please respond at your earliest convenience.

Thanks  

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Top Student
IanMat
Message 3 of 12 (278 Views)

Thank you so much for your reply.

There was no link in your post about how to find the BIOS version, but in the BIOS setup it says it is F.29.

To clear things up a bit, the touchpad does not work at all. It stopped working while using the computer. Since it has stopped working, there has been a few issues with the keyboard not working. If you sleep or restart the computer the keyboard works.

A USB mouse and/or keyboard work just fine in all situations.

Thanks

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 4 of 12 (277 Views)

Thank you for your quick reply and sorry about that I meant to include the link, but I’m glad you were able to provide me the bios version you currently have.

I do show there is an update currently available that I want you to install. See the link below, also when you download it save it first and then run it. Make sure you have the ac power connected to the unit and don’t be surprised if the laptop shuts down that is pretty normal.

Bios Firmware Update

Run this and let me know of your results.

Thanks 

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Top Student
IanMat
Message 5 of 12 (274 Views)

I ran the BIOS update. The touchpad still does not work. I have not tested the keyboard. I have to leave the computer idle for some time in order to attempt to reproduce the error.

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 6 of 12 (273 Views)

Darn I was hoping for better results. I want try to have to boot into safe mode. What you want to do is shut the PC down, and when you turn it back on tap F8 repeatedly, it should place you on black screen with a list of options. Using the arrow keys toggle down to safe mode with networking and select that option. Once you get in that environment test the touchpad out.

Safe mode uses the minimum drivers to let the PC run its basic processes. If the touchpad still doesn’t work it’s a hardware issue. Also leave the PC idle for some time and come back and test the keyboard in the same environment and that will tell you if you’re having an hardware issue with the keyboard as well.

Please let me know your results no rush on this end take as much time as you need.

Thank You

Top Student
IanMat
Message 7 of 12 (258 Views)

Ran the computer in safe mode and the touchpad does not work. The keyboard functionality seems to be restored though.

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 8 of 12 (257 Views)

So at this point it does sound like there is a hardware issue with the touchpad.  If you’re still under the under factory warranty or some sort of extended warranty I would recommend calling HP help desk to setup a repair. Their phone number is 1-800-474-6836.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks

Top Student
IanMat
Message 9 of 12 (256 Views)

That's a real bummer. I no longer have warranty with HP.

Thank you for the help.

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 10 of 12 (253 Views)

No problem sorry I couldn't provide you better news or that it could't be fixed without replacing anything. 

If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask. 

Thank You. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation