Question

Top Student
tommynguyen02
Message 1 of 5 (1,997 Views)

Transferring data from old hard drive to new

How do you go about transferring data on your old laptop hard drive currently being in use to a new hard drive?  Basically I want to make a mirror image of my old hard drive that I'm currently using onto the new hard drive.  Is t possible? If so, how do I do it?  I have a Compaq Presario V5204NR and the 37 gigs fills up super fast.  I am looking to upgrade to a newer and bigger hard drive to meet my needs. 
Top Student
Havoc3D
Message 2 of 5 (1,988 Views)

Re: Transferring data from old hard drive to new

If you're looking to just upgrade an older hard drive with a larger one on the same computer, you certainly can duplicate the entire drive onto the new one and just snap the new one is.

The hard drive is usualy underneath a cover on the bottom of the laptop.  Just pull it, hook it up to a desktop pc (if it's an older ide hard drive, you'll need a few dollar adapter to attach it to a normal ide cable) and hook up the new one you want to image to.  You'll need a program like Norton Ghost (costs $ but easy to use) or clonezilla (free, but requires more knowledge).  Both of those will make an exact duplicate of one drive to another.  It could take a few hours to complete, depending on drive speed and how much stuff you have.

Once it's done you should be able to pop the new drive into the laptop and fire it up.  The first boot windows may say it's detecting a new device (the hard drive) and want a restart.

Student
harriet
Message 3 of 5 (1,817 Views)

my computer stopped working, I purchased a new computer, but cannot turn on my old computer on to transfer the data. Any suggestions. Thank you,Dolores
Associate Professor
RoyalSerpent
Message 4 of 5 (1,811 Views)

Copywipe can also clone HDD, plus it's free.

If the hard drive in the old PC is still functional, then you can ADD the old hard drive to another PC to see if the PC will be able to access the stored data.  There are many ways to recover the data...all will cost more $ and require greater skill from the user.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

Tutor
Raza
Message 5 of 5 (1,787 Views)

Unplug the old hard drive and put this into an external USB hard disk case and use it as a USB Data Traveller

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation