Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

No need to download another BIOS, just checked and F13 is up. I can confirm it does fix the F5 light issue, you can now turn it off (there is an option in BIOS) and get the desired behavior (either all keys are backlit or none is).

HP Recommended

I do not see any BIOS available.  Could you please provide a link for where you found F.13 ? 

Thanks!

HP Recommended

The link was missing. 

Please go to Drivers & Downloads: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html 

Find the updates for your model and look for BIOS update F.13 - this enables you to turn off the permanent backlighting of the F5 key.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended

2015-06-10 today I have updated the BIOS

----

Pressing F9 quickly and repeatedly during booting brings you in the Bios-setting.

F-10 brings you from there into System Configuration.

The entry at the bottom of the list makes it possible to DISABLE the F5 LED !!!

So the problem is solved, thank you HP !

HP Recommended

I just updated my laptop's BIOS and now I can disable the F5 backlight when the keyboard's disabled. Thanks for fixing this, and for the support team for escalating the issue to product management (and for putting up with our compliants :smileyvery-happy:)

HP Recommended

Glad to hear it's working well for you now!

🙂

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
HP Recommended

I'm not able to download the update, unfortunately. I've tried various times using the website. When I click on the link, a small window labelled "HP Download and Install Assistant" opens. I immediately get an error message that reads "Download failed" (the download progress bar never moves).

I also tried looking for the update in HP Support Assistant, but the update doesn't appear there for some reason.

I'm using the i7 version. Happy to provide more information.

Any information anybody has to offer would be great. Is it possible that HP temporarily pulled the update (explaining why it's not visible in HP Support Assistant, but visible on the website)?

HP Recommended

I checked the "Action log" in HP Support Assistant. The failed update does in fact show under "Failed items." Details as follows:

SoftPaq number: SP71418

Version: F.13Ap1

Size: 117.01KB

HP Recommended

hold esc and tap f10 while powering on and go to the 3rd or fourth tab in the bios menu, there is a f5 always on backlight setting.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I clicked that link and it appears to be disabled now says "oops we can't find that page for you". can someone pls post a live link?

And if i could push my luck with an added query: can someone pls give me detailed instructions re what to do with the "BIOS" after I click the link. I've never mucked around with BIOS before and I am not techie, is it dangerous for someone like me to attempt such a maneouvre?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.