Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I'd like to be able to enable two external displays on my probook 4540s.  Currently, I have two monitors connected one by VGA and one by HDMI.  I'd like to have both be extended displays.  I'd rather not have the primary screen on my laptop display at all, but if it has to for some reason, I could make it work.  Is there a way to do this?  Currently, it's not recognizing both VGA and HDMI, only one or another. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

After checking, I am afraid that it can only recognize either VGA or HDMI. not two at the same time.

“I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.”

Although I am a HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

I discovered that if you run the install of the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver version 10.18.010.3464 it will initialize both the VGA and the HDMI and they will both work until you reboot your machine.

Make sure to change the selection to 'no' at the end of the install when it requests a  reboot.

You may need to disable the laptop monitor for this to work. I am not sure because I am using this setup on a laptop with a busted monitor.

So if it fails at 1st attempt disable the flatpanel laptop screen and run the intall again.

-- on a side not I tried intalling a more recent version of the driver 10.18.10.3496 I think. Anyway it didnt work, but I was able to reinstall the 3464 version and it works.

Ken

HP Recommended

I would also like to connect 2 external monitors, but only one of them ist recognized.

HP Recommended

"I discovered that if you run the install of the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver version 10.18.010.3464 it will initialize both the VGA and the HDMI and they will both work until you reboot your machine."

Ken, this solution is for use of 3 monitors? Or the Laptop monitor 1, a VGA monitor 2 and a HDMI monitor 3?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.