Question

Honor Student
PaulSculley
Message 1 of 4 (3,217 Views)

USB 3.0 Port powered even when laptop off.

I have a HP Envy 15 with USB 3.0.

When my laptop is off the USB ports still provide power.

I use a USB powered laptop cooler which continues to run its fans even after the Laptop is shutdown/powered off.

I also have a USB external Keyboard and Mouse.  It, the USB connecting device displays its LEDs even after the Laptop it is connected to is powered off.

My previous laptop didn't do this.

Is there some way to fix this?

Thanks.

Student
daniel1724
Message 2 of 4 (3,071 Views)

Re: USB 3.0 Port powered even when laptop off.

I bought the HP 17 1011NR Model on July 11 2010.Attached is the e-mail I send to HP customer service representative .The Answer i was given is that this issue is the design of all HP ENVY laptop and they will forward this issues to the their supervisor who will in turn send it to HP technical team to see if this can be fixed by a patch .I am guessing it can be handled with the patch in BIOS hope they will follow up on it.

Scrap from E-mail send to HP customer service:
After shutting down the Laptop all the 4 USB ports are powered, meaning they behave like a powered USB port. This is causing issue as I use all of my USB ports, to which I have connected Docking Station, TV Tuner, Laptop Cooling Pad etc. They are not shutting down as the USB is still powered after shut down. This is wearing down the Docking Station, Laptop Cooling Pad, TV tuner as they keep running until I remove them from the USB ports or remove the power adapter. This is becoming an irritation as every night I have go thru this exercise of unplugging the gadgets connected to USB port. I am using this as a desktop replacement and I have not seen a behavior like this in other HP laptops that I have.

Please fix this or let me know how to power down the USB port after Shutdown (Like BIOS setting or WINDOWS7 Settings) or update your tech specs in HP Website to details that all the 4 USB ports are powered ports.  

Student
PQOWIEURYT
Message 3 of 4 (2,842 Views)

Try removing the power cord from the laptop.

It cuts the power to the USB 3.0 and the eSATA ports on my ENVY 17...

Student
leonjim
Message 4 of 4 (2,263 Views)

if this problem has been solved then no problem have fun because this is quite an old thread if not then try in BIOS if u hav a Usb powershare option i faced the same problem in my Dell laptop but in the bios the powershare option was enabled even after the shutdown if provided power to the usb cooling pad my bios is pheonix  i hav a Hp dv4-1211tu and dell Xps studio 15 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation