Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Windows 7

Product name:HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
Product number:F4U57EA#ABU
Serial number:[Moderator edited Serial Number]
BIOS:F.67-11/26/2014
Keyboard revision:35.12
Total memory:8.00 GB
Processor name:Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz

I have an HP Pavilion 15-n032sa Laptop with Windows 8.1 8GB RAM 1TB HDD Intel Core i3
Somewhere along the Windows update road, 2 of the 3 usb ports stopped working - I have contactedBOTH USB 3.0 ports on the left hand side of the laptop. I contacted HP support via live chat and having looked at the problem, they advised that I would need to reinstall Windows as an update had stopped the two ports from working. I am trying to avoid going down that road because of backing up etc. I have tried a number of so called fixes, but nothing has restored the ports to working order, and I am also puzzled by the fact that there are no problems showing up in device manager. I have read through a lot of the posts here on USB problems, but none of these solutions has worked either,
Any advice would be really appreciated as I am getting so frustrated with this now.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Barbarat

I saw your post regarding the problem with the USB 3.0 ports not working. I will be happy to help you with that. To avoid reinstalling the how operating system start with the chipset drivers. Use the Recovery Manager to Restore Original Drivers and look for Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver. Try installing that and let me know how it goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi and thank you for this. Sadly, it has not worked and when I plug in a usb stick on that side where the 2 USB 3.0 ports are, nothing happens.

HP Recommended

Try the following driver from Intel

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=21129

You may also have to install the USB 3.0 extensible host controller driver located on the bottom of the same download page at Intel.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you, but I am not able to install this as my laptop message tells me that the driver it is not compatible with my system.

HP Recommended

There is another option. Use Windows system restore to roll your system state back to the way it was before the usb ports stopped working.

Invoke the search charm and type in  system ptotection. Click on system protection. The following window should be invoked.

system restore.png

In the following window, click on the one I am pointing to. Choose a restore point dated before the Windows update occured. System restore will not cause any data loss and is reversible. It is essentially like a time machine for your notebook. You can also check to see if any programs will be affected by the restore point you have chosen before committing to it by clicking on next.

system restore 2.png

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I do not appear to have any restore points prior to Dec 14 and the problem began prior to that.

HP Recommended

It appears that aside from making registry edits, which may or not help, your options, at this point, are a bit limited.

The simplest is performing a refresh as seen in the folowing video.

An alternative is performing a factory image recovery with your reovery media.

Either choice will require that you reinstall programs that were not delivered with you notebook or not purchased at the Microsoft store. 

HP Recommended
I don't know what to say now, as I have done both of the above and the ports will NOT work. Aargh!
Any advice as to where I go from here would be very much appreciated.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.