Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy TouchSmart m7.  Purchased it with Win 8 and upgraded to Win 8.1 update 1 (with August 2014 update).

No issues with the exception of a USB device.  I normally have not used any USB devices - no USB keyboard, no USB printer, etc.. I have used a USB mouse once in a blue moon - but I do use a USB audio interface for my MIDI keyboard regularly.

It works fine until I connect a cable from any of the outputs to a mixer or amp.  Within minutes, I hear a click and my audio driver stops responding as if the device rebooted - I'm assuming because of a USB power or data drop-out.  I've replaced my audio interface, tried different power sources, different locations, all types of surge strips, modified power settings, replaced mixers, upgraded my BIOS, checked Windows updates, been talking with the maker of my audio interface (who even sent me custom drivers) and talking with the makers of my music software - all of them are at wits end saying to simply use another computer.

Help - help and help!  I cannot perform with my audio interface not working.  I have to connect it in order to hear sound.  Everything seems to point to hardware on my laptop.  Any ideas or fixes for this laptop?

Thanks,

Chris

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi C_E_S,

Welcome to the HP forums,

I understand you are having trouble with your external USB Audio adapter, and I gather that you have explored several options with the manufacturer of the device.

A quick test would be to try the device on another computer to see if the same problem occurs or not. If not, it is possibly something related to power. Otherwise it would seem to be more with the device itself.

Something that could help would be to try Troubleshooting USB Connections (Windows 😎

Also if the problem does not occur on a different computer, some more detail about your computer would be helpful. Please read the following document if you need help in finding that.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Also, any details about the audio interface itself, Make/Model, etc. would also help.

Please let me know if this proved helpful to you at all, or if you have additional questions feel free to ask.

Regards,

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have same problem.

HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC was running windows 8. All was well, My midi device (EKS OTUS a usb class compliant device no drivers neccessary) was running fine.

I have recently updated to windows 8.1 through the store (sick of microsoft's nagging messages so upgraded ). the midi device is now non responsive. In device manager the device sows up as connected & working ok but no midi signal.

I have allready checked microsoft, intel & HP for updated drivers (nearly all had updated automaticaly allready)

the midi device manufacturers have no new drivers (but this is not an issue as it is a class compliant device & uses microsofts drivers)...

I have looked through several sites & believe this to be a usb issue due to some change in windows 8.1

I have also tried the device on an ASUS computer running windows 8.1 & my midi controler worked correctly straight away.

this leads me to conclude that there is an issue requiring a  update from HP 

HP Recommended

I have tried the device on another computer without any problems occurring.

I followed the Troubleshooting USB connections for Windows 8 directions and the issue was not resolved.  Recently when my device suddenly stops responding, it happens over and over rather quickly until I unplug the device.

The Model number of my Envy TS m7 notebook PC is E0K83UA.

The USB audio interface I'm using is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

Thanks for your time,

Chris

HP Recommended

Hello again @C_E_S,

Since the device works on a different machine with the drivers you have for it, assuming it is the same Operating System, then we could approach it from the perspective of system performance or latency or just driver issues. When I went back and looked at your original post, I noticed that you did not mention updating any of the drivers on the computer itself.

You can find the drivers for Windows 8.1 for the computer itself, here:

HP ENVY TouchSmart m7-j010dx Notebook PC Drivers

I also found this page on the Native Instruments site related to tuning a computer for audio processing.  Some of the guidelines and tips may be applicable to your situation. Windows 8 Tuning Tips for Audio Processing

Also from Sound on Sound: Eradicating PC Audio Clicks & Pops

Please let me know if any of this has been useful to you.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Hello,

AS I stated earlier - the maker of the problematic device (which has a solid reputation) has sent me new drivers that aren't widely available although the drivers seemed and still seem solid and I've never mentioned nor had an issue with latency.  Although you said I didn't mention updating any of the drivers, I may have inferred it by saying I installed any and all Windows updates which included drivers.

I have worked with PC's for 20 years, building, supporting, programming, etc.. I have seen a plethora of problems that run the gamut of easy to very complex and even to unexplainable - which I usually don't accept.. lol.  This laptop runs smooth and I've tuned it up as my main music machine but this issue runs pretty deep and on the surface I can't see a driver issue, no latency issues and no updates pending for anything.  What has my curiousity and perhaps I've not been as detailed as I shoud have been but that this problem does NOT occur and may never have  occurred if I only used headphones.  It only happens when a cable - any cable - is plugged up from my audio device to another device like a mixer or amp.

That's why I explored grouding issues, electrical possibilities etc.  This may be a complex combination of several factors.  Maybe a USB issue, along with a driver and/or even a deep OS issue along with grounding?

Thanks for the link to Windows 8 Tuning Tips for Audio processing but honestly, I had already performed these modifications way before I found that article and read it even before you posted the link.  But thanks for being thorough.

I'd actually be happy if I had to address some clicking or popping - but a complete failure when only cables are connected?  What can I do in the cabling to prevent surges?  I hate to purchase expensive equipment to troubleshoot this, find a surge issue only to have to purchase another laptop, audio interface or something.  Throwing more money at it for only troubleshooting purposes doesn't seem pleasant to me.

I have blue screen logs, memory dump files, etc which have been handed over to Focusrite and still nothing.  I'd like to install Win 10 on it to see if this reoccurs or drop back to Win 7.  I don't know what to do,,,  my first audio interface device to fulfill my dreams of playing live performances and I hit this.. Agh!!!

Frustrated but still willing to troubleshoot,

Thanks,

Chris

HP Recommended

In continued talks with Focusrite (the maker of my audio interface), they are saying that it is impossible for a change in my cable configuration to change the status of their device.  When the device is continually crashing, I can unplug the audio cable and BOOM, the crashes stop.

Focusrite Technical Support:

" Audio is always routed to the Outputs on the rear of the 2i4, regardless of the presence of an audio cable.  Plugging in an audio cable is not physically capable of changing the status of the device, on an electronic level."

If this is the case, then the only common denominator is the USB port on the laptop after changing all other criteria.  I am supposing a ground loop problem exists with the USB ports.  If this is defective workmanship or an oversight, what can I do to test it or get it fixed?

THanks,

Chris

HP Recommended

Hi @C_E_S 

If it is physical problem with the USB port then the part is replaceable. See the attached service manual, which show all the supported replacement parts for this notebook, and how to remove or install them.

HP ENVY 17 Notebook PC HP ENVY TouchSmart m7 Notebook PC HP ENVY TouchSmart 17 Notebook PC - Mainten...

I would recommend calling in to technical phone support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I decided to reload Windows on my laptop by doing a factory restore.  I installed ONLY my music software and my audio interface driver and experienced the same problematic issue - the crashing (or rebooting) of my audio interface driver.  I have been running Windows 10 for the last month and have still been hitting the same issue.  I have noticed that despite different operating systems, the common variable is the sound driver and beats audio.  Beats audio, despite the hype, is an absolutely awful tool for a musician like myself.  I wish I could totally remove it, uninstall it, something..  Regardless of which OS I am running, I see beats audio in the Control panel.  I have also tried removing the IDT PC audio driver to see if the audio driver is wreaking havoc on my audio interface driver but can't seem to remove it.

What can I do to remove beats audio - or use another audio driver - or disable it completely?  I don't care about any sound coming from the laptop hardware since I can use my audio interface.  Currently I have disabled the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC in Device Manager and will see if this makes any difference.

I have made slight to drastic changes to my laptop and audio interface several times a week for 6 months now with no end in sight.  I get truly frustrated as this is the sole reason I purchased the laptop and my audio interface.  With my warranty expired and no real case for HP to replace my laptop, I don't know what to do.  I can't quit playing music because of this nor shell out lots of cash for another pricey laptop when I don't know what is causing my current issue.

Hoping to find an end by removing the audio driver, audio system, beats audio etc...

Thanks,
Chris

HP Recommended

Five months later and countless hours of continued troubleshooting have not resolved this issue.

Simply put, my audio interface driver for my Focusrite audio interface stops responding after several minutes of playing.  I have used and tested three brand new audio interface devices, thanks to Focusrite.  I have upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 to Windows 10 with no change.  Focusrite support staff has remotely connected to my laptop and performed much tweaking and troubleshooting and provided many beta drivers.  They consistently impress me with assisting me and with their continued troubleshooting efforts.

I wish there was some way to remove current audio drivers or sound system components and only leave the Focusrite interface sound driver.  Something is conflicting with the ASIO driver that makes it stop responding.  I've disabled everything I could find related to the on-board audio, beats audio, etc to no avail.  Focusrite support staff has performed simliar actions as well.  We've streamlined performance, changed USB settings, among a host of other efforts.

What is causing the ASIO driver to stop responding?  How can I remove all sound components on the laptop and only use the ASIO driver?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.