Question
USB Audio problem HP 6735s laptop
Replies (28)

Top Student
sickVisionz
Message 11 of 29 (4,639 Views)

Re: USB Audio problem HP 6735s laptop

I just went to the support page looking for the BIOS and there's a recently added bit of kit called "AMD USB Filter Driver" thats supposed to improve the performance of stuff like USB audio devices.  I'm pretty sure it'll be up on any Vista+AMD Processor equipped HP Laptop's support page.  You may want to try that.  I'm installing it now and will edit this with results once its done.
Top Student
sickVisionz
Message 12 of 29 (4,618 Views)

I'm using a M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB interface.  After installing that bit of kit my device went from totally unusable in every way imaginable to giving me lower latency than my older desktop (my primary DAW) did.  If you've got a AMD HP Laptop and where having issues, i'd definitely suggest getting that download.
Student
Emmanuel
Message 13 of 29 (4,439 Views)

Hi. I have a HP 6735s, with AMD Sempron Processor and i have problems with USB soundcards. I have Windows XP and sometimes the soundcard works well, but sometimes the sound comes with noise. Re-installing the BIOS can solve the problem? I search for USB Filter Driver, but this driver works on Windows Vista.

Please, help me! Thank you

Teacher
Tartersmell
Message 14 of 29 (4,435 Views)

I own a AMD chipset Note with a 64bitter in it and Here is what Ive found out about poping, crackly sound.  If the Processor is set on power save, it crackles away under any kinda processor loads.  Why I dont know.  It runs perfect if you set the processor at 100 percent in the settings while on Power save.  If you switch to Full power mode its gone, processor at 100percent by default.  Win Vista HP.  This also happens in WinXP but not as bad while in power save.

It also has a problems with SDHC cards, while the speeds are OK, the desktop crawls to a turtle until its done what its doing. Still waiting for a better driver for that issue.  Its something about that chipset..  

HP MINI1000 16GBSSD,ASUS EEEPC 701 4GBSSD, DELL1501-DELL1520-DELLB1300-DELL3800 CERTS A+ NET+ OS- 3.1-98, 2000, 2000AS, XP, XPAS, XP64, VISTA H,P,U,B VISTA 64BIT WIN7BETA NT4 MSCE
Student
ch34
Message 15 of 29 (4,150 Views)

Thanks sickVisionz the "AMD USB Filter Driver" worked for my distorted, cracking and popping USB audio. I had already reflashed the BIOS even though it didn't need it and that had sorted out a lot of the problem (it had been so bad I couldn't listen to anything via USB audio). There were still a few really annoying crackles every so often but the filter driver removed it completely!

My USB audio worked perfectly on 3 other laptops it was only on my HPtx2550 (Vista and AMD) that I had the problem. My support page didn't include the filter driver so I grabbed it from another laptop's support page - can't remember which I googled "AMD USB Filter Driver" to find it.

Now I'm happily using my wireless headphones.

Honor Student
kirjastotati
Message 16 of 29 (3,474 Views)

Yeah,

I tried updating BIOS, installing amd usb audio driver, installing XP instead of VISTA, installing usb audio driver to XP

and..

didn't work.

I'm DJ and i bought this laptop especially for my gigs and bought EDIROL UA-1EX soundcard for this laptop (because it doesnt have firewire plug)

Edirol UA-1EX works perfectly on my old HP zv6000-serie laptop.

only true solution seems to get some expresscard firewire controller with texas instruments chip in it and use my old M-Audio firewire audiophile..

this really sucks, spend big bucks and got nothing.

Tutor
RedD
Message 17 of 29 (3,457 Views)

same problem here, I bought the machine for DJing and music production, but it is impossible to use it with USB drivers. AVOID!

Mine was with HP repairs for 2 months and they claimed to have fixed the issue. When I eventuially got it back, they had downgraded it to XP and yet the same problem was still present with crackling over any audio.

They replaced it for a 6370s, I havent tried it for DJing yet, but the machine is powerful enough to do music production on without an external card.

Only issue with this one is the fonts on the screen are quite fuzzy.

Tutor
sutterkane1
Message 18 of 29 (1,372 Views)

Hey guys,, I come here in desperation!

This seems to be one of the most discussed topics about the HP crackles I've found (that hasn't been started by me.) I have an HP Compaq 615 and Novation Nio soundcard and I've been tearing my hair out for months because of the crackling and what I assume is a driver crash.

If I plug the Nio into any USB port [i]except[/i] the one closest to the screen I get horrible crackling that eventually leads to the audio driver totally crashing when switching USB ports, or changing latency settings - when this happens I need to reboot in order to get sound again (not even sound, applications like Windows Media Player for instance, will be able to open a file but wont play it.)

If I plug the Nio into the USB port the furthest from me and set its buffer length to 4ms or below (not a single ms higher) I get a clean signal 99% of the time. (Which I think is pretty **bleep** weird. Isn't a large buffer size supposed to give crackles and not the other way around?)

Sometimes if I'm using a midi controller, using the controls will also produce some crackling as I tweak them which will either eventually go away or crash the application. If I try run Asio4All I get a red exclamation mark box and a garbled, choppy stutter. This will also require a reboot to sort out.

I might add that the interface runs perfectly on my desktop and DPC latency checker shows a consistent green readout on the laptop.

So far I've tried:

Flasing to a new BIOS

Formatting and new OS. (I was dealing with this for months on XP before formatting and installing Windows 7 32bit Home Premium. While the system seems to run better on 7, the problem is totally identical.

Disabling almost every on-board device including: Modems, Wireless Adapters, Onboard Sound, Webcam and pretty much everything else except for my graphics adapter.

Changed power settings to High Performance and disabled the USB controllers from being able to lose power.

Checked IRQ settings. With XP, there were some clashes with a USB Root Hub and my graphics card (disabling the card didn't make any difference) but now the all USB related devices (Standard Open HCD USB Host Controller (5 of them) and Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (2 of them) share IRQ numbers from 16 to 19 but don't clash with any other device (except for themselves)

I tried a powered USB hub which produced even worse crackling and distortion.

Today I excitedly installed the USB Audio Filter thinking it would solve my problems...Alas, nothing! Does anyone have any other suggestions or fixes at all?

There's nothing worse than gambling with hardware when onstage, I seriously don't want to have to play anymore gigs worrying about whether or not I'm going to get crackling all of a sudden! This has happened before, forcing me to move to CDs a few seconds before my set started (luckily.)

The only USB port to work is also starting to get loose and I'd like to have some other options. Do you think an Express Card/34 with extra USB ports could help?  Has anyone found any other solutions? Thanks for any help!

Honor Student
kirjastotati
Message 19 of 29 (1,370 Views)

hiya sutterkane

expresscard with usb will NOT help, i tried it, same problem continues.

didnt find any solution to this problem, bought macbook and everything works fine.

Tutor
sutterkane1
Message 20 of 29 (1,360 Views)

sigh, not what I want to hear - but thanks for the reply. At least the one port works - kind of. :smileytongue:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation