Question

Tutor
JaseelJP
Message 1 of 5 (423 Views)

USB and LAN ports NOT WORKING

[ Edited ]

Model : HP Envy 15-j049TX

Since I had this bios error, HP has fixed it by changing the motherboard. Now that the once bricked computer boots and everything, but now there are lot of changes from the previous state before motherboard replacement.

The bios version installed on my pc currently is F.34. But my laptop's support page only shows F.24 and F.23 for my pc. Would this be a problem? Then previously my system showed pc infos correctly, but now it shows serial no. and product number as simply 012456789 ! It also used to show my correct model name, now it is some 'Pavillion' Dm3 in its place.

The display of wrong info don't bother me, but the WORST part is that everything on the right side of the lap ain't working. There are 4 USB ports on my pc(2 on the left and 2 on the right), the 2 USB 3.0s on the right side of the laptop is not working. I don't think that the OS has anything to do with it. The light on the USB devices won't even glow. + the LAN port on the right side is also NOT working. All of this happened after this bios replacement. What can I do about this ? Is there any setting on the BIOS that may magically reappear my USB drives and activate the LAN port. Or do I have to install the drivers again? Anyways I don't dare to do another bios flash, changing it into what HP has gave me default. 

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (412 Views)

Re: USB and LAN ports NOT WORKING

Use the HP Support Assistant and run the Tune-up application. It should recognize that the USB 3.0 ports and the LAN devices do not have the driver software installed. It should locate the required software and install it. 

Please keep us advised as to the status of the issue after using the HP Support Assistant.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Tutor
JaseelJP
Message 3 of 5 (382 Views)

I did run the HP Supports' Tune App and but nothing. As I told you, everything worked fine before HP guys opened up my lap to change the motherboard. So I'm thinking it has something to do with the hardware, maybe a missing connection. There is also this diagnosis test where we can do at the time of boot up. It says FAILED to my two non working USB ports and PASSED for my two working USB Ports. If you want, I can upload the picture of my device manager window. I think it only shows two USB ports and I don't even know where on earth the LAN port is located on the list of device manager. I tried disabling and re enabling USB kinda devices from Device Manager, but thats not helping at all.

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 5 (371 Views)

[ Edited ]

Check in the BIOS to see if you can enable the ports and network adapter. I will ask to have this escalated. Do you still have the case number  information from when it was sent in to the service center? You may need it.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Retired
KittyK
Message 5 of 5 (360 Views)

[ Edited ]

JaseelJP, I saw your post and forwarded it to the right people for their review. You should hear back from someone shortly via private message on this Forum (please note as it is the weekend and near the holidays there may be a delay in being contacted).

KittyK - HP Support Forums Moderator

Clicking the "Kudos star" to the left is a great way to say thanks!

When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking the "Accept as Solution" button to help other members in the future!

Rules of Participation
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation