Question

Top Student
Union70mi
Message 1 of 9 (313 Views)

USB not responding

Greetings,

I have the following computer HP ELITEBOOK 8540W that's on a APR Docking Station (Product Number: 581598-001) that keeps looseing the USB on the docking station.  I've reimaged the laptop 3 times and get the same issues.  I've updated the BIOS to the most current BIOS release.  I've replaced the docking station twice.  The only way to fix it is to completely shut down the laptop and then the USB on the Docking station works.  When the USB on the Docking Station stop working it will take about 30 seconds and then the laptop will stop functioning.  There is no Event erros. Is there anything else I can do to stop the lost of USB connections?

1. 3 year (in warranty)
2. Product Number : SK234UC
3. HP ELITEBOOK 8540W

4. Windows XP 64 Bit SP2

Any help is welcomed.

Top Student
Union70mi
Message 2 of 9 (281 Views)

Re: USB not responding

Is there a solution or do I have to keep turn in the Docking Station until it works correctly?

Top Student
Union70mi
Message 3 of 9 (263 Views)

Does anyone have any ideas on hot to fix this?

Top Student
Union70mi
Message 4 of 9 (260 Views)

So I called HP Tech Support they said this:

1.) Update the BIOS

A.) Done that

2.) Update Chipset

A.) Done that

3.) Replace the docking station

A.) Done that three times

4.) Redo the OS

A.) Done that twice

5.) Tech Support wants me to create a new Hardware profile to fix it

I'll keep this updated.

Top Student
Union70mi
Message 5 of 9 (240 Views)

Is there any solutions to fix this or should I send back the computer back to HP?  It's been weeks with no reply!

Top Student
Union70mi
Message 6 of 9 (220 Views)

I set up a new Hardware profile per HP Tech support and the USB are still going down.  Does anyone have any Ideas?

Provost
Huffer
Message 7 of 9 (217 Views)

[ Edited ]

Have you tried an OS other than 64 bit WIndows XP? I was once a fan of it, too but Windows 7 is so much more capable and the driver support is so much better. I installed 64 bit XP on a series of workstations and nearly all of them had some type of driver related issues. All have been updated to Windows 7 64 bit now with no firther issues. I am not even sure that HP technically supports 64 bit XP on any of its laptops.

Update: I checked and HP never sold it with XP 64 bit but does offer support for the mobile workstation version and there is a full set of driver downloads for XP 64 bit. I just think that such a modern machine would be better off with a current OS. Given all the trouble you have had, would it hurt to install Windows 7 64 bit and see if you get the same USB issues when it is docked? I would guess not.

Top Student
Union70mi
Message 8 of 9 (211 Views)

Huffer,

Yes, we have Windows XP 32 bit, Windows XP 64 bit, Windows 7 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit.  But, this machine is for production and has to be Windows 64 Bit.  I had Windows 32 bit on it but, it was doing the USB nor responding 2 to 3 times  a day.  So, I switch to Windows 64 bit.  The software on this machine will not run in Windows 7 at all.  And occording to HP Tech Support, this machine will handle Windows XP.  That is why I got this laptop.  The software company is not planing to upgrade to Windows 7.  I'm about to put on Windows 98SE.  I've call HP Tech support every week and they can't figure it out.  So, I'm about to send back this Elitebook 8540w back to HP and get a different computer.

Thanks for the info.

Provost
Huffer
Message 9 of 9 (207 Views)

If you can return it for a refund do so because it sounds like it is not going to meet your needs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation