USB ports don't work (1651 Views)
Honor Student
roll-em
Message 1 of 8 (1,651 Views)
Accepted Solution

USB ports don't work

I just purchased a G72t laptop Aug. 23 and 2 or the 3 USB ports do not recognize any devices. I have a wireless mouse plugged into the 3rd USB and it works fine. I tried to install a printer (HP 4280) and it would not work on either of the other 2 ports. It will work on the port where the mouse works. The mouse does not work in the 2 bad ports either. I went through the entired deleting the USB controller stuff to no avail. It seems so much like a hardware failure. Anyone have an suggestions?

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 2 of 8 (1,640 Views)

Re: USB ports don't work

Sounds like a bad connection to the motherboard or a bad motherboard, contact HP and get it repaired under warranty, or return the Laptop to place of purchase and ask for a full refund.

Nothing worse than buying a New laptop that is broken right out of the box, I would return it and get a refund or exchange for another New Laptop, the sooner the better.

Honor Student
roll-em
Message 3 of 8 (1,617 Views)

Thanks for the suggestion. The laptop is already in FedEx's hands with a replacement promised.

Associate Dean
Mumbodog
Message 4 of 8 (1,615 Views)

Glad you are getting another one. Where did you buy it from if you don't mind my asking?

Honor Student
roll-em
Message 5 of 8 (1,607 Views)

I bought it from HP online. We were very happy with the G72t and when we get one with working USB ports we will be even happier. I think it is a fine laptop.

Student
schonc
Message 6 of 8 (1,073 Views)

FYI. same problem with the pavilion dm4 1150ca

Student
cmsharp74
Message 7 of 8 (328 Views)

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60 and my USB drives started acting goofy out of the blue. No virus' have been detected but my computer has been giving me error messages saying the USB's "failure to load the drivers" nut it is while there is nothing plugged into them. I can see my devices (externals, mice, etc) power up but most of the time it won't recognize the external and it never recognizes the mice or powered multi-port hubs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Student
jimgggg1
Message 8 of 8 (126 Views)

[ Edited ]

Chris, did you ever find a fix?  I have the same issue with same machine.  Please send me a note to {Personal Information Removed}

thanks 

Jim

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation