Question

Honor Student
AlphaFite
Message 1 of 7 (273 Views)
Accepted Solution

Ugrading a HP Pavilion G7?

Hello all!

I've got a Hp pavilion g7 Notebook PC with AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.50 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 674 GB hard disk drive, running Windows 7 service pack 1.

That's all the info I know about it, and all that I know how to find, but if more is needed for a good answer, just let me know where to look!

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to give my computer a little pep talk. I'd like it to work a little faster in general, and I would like my games to run a little faster/smoother.  

I've read that upgrading my memory and HHD might be cheaper, easier, and give me more of a performance boost than upgrading my processor, but I read that on some blog that Google turned up. I don't know how true that is. I figured I can get some trustworthy advice here (I hope!)

Also, I believe that I can't go any higher than 8 GB RAM on this computer. I've got two slots, one empty, and I'm wondering why I can't get bigger than 4 GB sticks for this. Just curious. I'd like to boost my performance as much as possible without going through the same expense as buying a newer higher-end (and therefore expensive) laptop, so the budget for my upgrade is somewhere around just less than buying a new computer!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

~James

Honor Student
AlphaFite
Message 2 of 7 (268 Views)

Re: Ugrading a HP Pavilion G7?

Oh, I forgot to mention something that might well be important to the questions I asked. I'm not completely new to the idea of working on computers. I took a PC hardware class in high school, and I have built a few desktops of my own. However, I've never cracked open a laptop (and I guess I should avoid actually cracking this one open as well, since there are less destructive ways!), and it's been about 6 years since I've done any sort of hardware work on a computer. So, I have a basic understanding of how this all works, but I know little to nothing about the actual hardware currently available or how they stack up to what I've already got. As I constantly have to remind my wife when she asks me for help with her PC Hardware Maintainence class, "What I know about computer hardware probably doesn't really matter any more."

Teacher
Teacher
SGI
Message 3 of 7 (256 Views)

Hello,

There are several models in the Pavilion G7 Series, so please post your HP Product number to find the definitive upgrades for your system. 

Honor Student
AlphaFite
Message 4 of 7 (250 Views)

Ok, Product number is A7A33UA#ABA

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 5 of 7 (234 Views)

Hello AlphaFite.I have included the specifications page for this model:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03151850

Now, you can upgrade to 8 GBs of RAM. If you currently using 1 slot out of 2, and the 1 slot is using 4 GBs, you can insert a second 4 GB RAM stick. After ensuring the drivers are installed and up to date, you will be able to use 8 GBs of RAM, which will increase performance speed. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I have also provided a document containing details of updating RAM on a notebook. I'm only here to help!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00820047

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
AlphaFite
Message 6 of 7 (225 Views)

Thanks for the info.  The computer running faster would make me a much happier man, and the memory upgrade should be a fairly quick and easy one compared to uprading much of anything else!

HP Support Agent
SuperMario1
Message 7 of 7 (222 Views)

Not a problem! Feel free to post if any other issues occur. Have a great day!

Mario

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" next to it to say “Thanks” for helping!

Super Mario 1
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation