Question
Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (353 Views)
Accepted Solution

Ugrading a HP Pavilion G7?

Hello all!

I've got a Hp pavilion g7 Notebook PC with AMD A6-3420M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.50 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 674 GB hard disk drive, running Windows 7 service pack 1.

That's all the info I know about it, and all that I know how to find, but if more is needed for a good answer, just let me know where to look!

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to give my computer a little pep talk. I'd like it to work a little faster in general, and I would like my games to run a little faster/smoother.  

I've read that upgrading my memory and HHD might be cheaper, easier, and give me more of a performance boost than upgrading my processor, but I read that on some blog that Google turned up. I don't know how true that is. I figured I can get some trustworthy advice here (I hope!)

Also, I believe that I can't go any higher than 8 GB RAM on this computer. I've got two slots, one empty, and I'm wondering why I can't get bigger than 4 GB sticks for this. Just curious. I'd like to boost my performance as much as possible without going through the same expense as buying a newer higher-end (and therefore expensive) laptop, so the budget for my upgrade is somewhere around just less than buying a new computer!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

~James

Accepted Solution

Re: Ugrading a HP Pavilion G7?

Hello AlphaFite.I have included the specifications page for this model:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03151850

Now, you can upgrade to 8 GBs of RAM. If you currently using 1 slot out of 2, and the 1 slot is using 4 GBs, you can insert a second 4 GB RAM stick. After ensuring the drivers are installed and up to date, you will be able to use 8 GBs of RAM, which will increase performance speed. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I have also provided a document containing details of updating RAM on a notebook. I'm only here to help!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00820047

Mario

View solution in context
Honor Student
Message 2 of 7 (348 Views)

Oh, I forgot to mention something that might well be important to the questions I asked. I'm not completely new to the idea of working on computers. I took a PC hardware class in high school, and I have built a few desktops of my own. However, I've never cracked open a laptop (and I guess I should avoid actually cracking this one open as well, since there are less destructive ways!), and it's been about 6 years since I've done any sort of hardware work on a computer. So, I have a basic understanding of how this all works, but I know little to nothing about the actual hardware currently available or how they stack up to what I've already got. As I constantly have to remind my wife when she asks me for help with her PC Hardware Maintainence class, "What I know about computer hardware probably doesn't really matter any more."

Teacher
Teacher
Message 3 of 7 (336 Views)

Hello,

There are several models in the Pavilion G7 Series, so please post your HP Product number to find the definitive upgrades for your system. 

Honor Student
Message 4 of 7 (330 Views)

Ok, Product number is A7A33UA#ABA

Retired
Message 5 of 7 (314 Views)

Hello AlphaFite.I have included the specifications page for this model:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03151850

Now, you can upgrade to 8 GBs of RAM. If you currently using 1 slot out of 2, and the 1 slot is using 4 GBs, you can insert a second 4 GB RAM stick. After ensuring the drivers are installed and up to date, you will be able to use 8 GBs of RAM, which will increase performance speed. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. I have also provided a document containing details of updating RAM on a notebook. I'm only here to help!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c00820047

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
Message 6 of 7 (305 Views)

Thanks for the info.  The computer running faster would make me a much happier man, and the memory upgrade should be a fairly quick and easy one compared to uprading much of anything else!

Retired
Message 7 of 7 (302 Views)

Not a problem! Feel free to post if any other issues occur. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation