Unfixable key on HP pavilion dv6 (7180 Views)
Student
dryedroses16
Message 1 of 5 (7,180 Views)

Unfixable key on HP pavilion dv6

I was trying to fix a key that suddenly just snapped off. So I looked it up to compare but I noticed that I couldn't fix it because the two metal things the plastic retainer of the key broke. 

I have no idea what to do now. :smileymad:

Please please help. lluckily i dont really used that key mush but I must have it fixed!

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 5 (7,167 Views)

Re: Unfixable key on HP pavilion dv6

Unless you can find someone who has a spare identical keyboard to get the key from, you are going to have to purchase another keyboard for your dv6.

Keyboards are pretty easy to replace on most laptops.

You should still be able to achieve the keystroke by tapping with your finger where the key was. 

If you need a link to a video on replacing the keyboard  once you have a new one just let me know.

I could have provided you with the part number if you had provided more specific identifying information for your dv6 series laptop. It is critical since the laptop series has localized part numbers for different target markets (countries).

Look at the tag on the bottom of notebook for Model Number (shown in area below the bar codes)

regards,
erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Provost
Huffer
Message 3 of 5 (7,152 Views)

if you have broken any part of the mounting structure on the keyboard a whole replacement board is the only option. Erico is corect in all respects. make sure to get an exact replacement for your exact keyboard.

Student
jackpeters1990
Message 4 of 5 (7,060 Views)

Re: keyboard replacement of HP pavilion dv6

Can you help me with replacing a keyboard for my HP DV6 1253cl.

I would like to know the part number as well as instructions how to go about replacing it.

Thanks

Jack Peters

Honor Student
William82
Message 5 of 5 (6,768 Views)

Don't worry, i faced a similar problem last month and i have a solution for your from my experience.

I know of such a website which sells individual laptop keys and trust me you don’t have to buy a new keyboard for just a single key. They sell genuine keys with their retainer plastic pieces for just $5. Check out:

http://www.laptopkey.com

Browse through your brand name, model number and order your required key. It’s that simple.

The best part is, you can repair your broken keys or install your laptop keys yourself by watching the video tutorials on the website.

Good Luck and i hope this helps! It saved me a whole lot last month.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation