Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So, a few months ago, I got a brand new HP computer(with windows 8, if that helps). I've never had any problems, except for one time when it screwed up the time somehow, but anyways; The up and down arrow keys don't work. At all. They don't scroll, they don't move anything up and down, nothing. Not the normal arrow keys or the keys on the number pad. They've only done this for a little while, a few days maybe. On day they worked fine, the next, nothing. I don't really think it's the keyboard itself, because on the number pad, 8 and 2 work fine. just not as arrow keys. Yes, I tried pressing num lock. Nothing. Along with that, I attempted to see if the up and down keys worked with the on screen keyboard- Still nothing. The left and right keys work totally fine. I don't know what to do, and this it /really/ frustrating. Please help! 

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hell DesiMarie,
Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that your up and down arrow keys aren't working correctly. I will try to help you with this.

To start could you please provide the Model and Product number of your computer?
    How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

From there, take a look at this document to see if it's able to help you out: Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 7).

Please let me know how this goes. Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem as Desimarie. Up and down arrow keys won't work, either on the key pad or the num pad. I know that the physical keys themselves work because I can type 8 and 2 on the numpad. I have a HP 15 TS Notebook PC running Windows 8.1, 64-bit version.

HP Recommended

Hello @AllenShap,

I see that you're also having this problem, I will try to assist you with it.

Did this also just start to occur for you? If so please start by doing a system restore to a point prior to this issue: Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎. This could mean an issues with a recent up date.

Aside from that, I was able to find two articles that might be helpful. I'm not sure if it will fix the exact issue you're having as it seems to be slightly different then not having the numpad arrows.
How do I switch the numeric keypad from arrow keys back to number keys?
The number pad on my brand new Windows 8 laptop is not working?!
(both articles are from answers.microsoft.com)

Let me know if this was able to help.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am also experiencing this same exact issue with the up and down arrow keys for the first time. It seems to be related to recent updates with Windows 8. Any way we can get this addressed in an upcoming update?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@GA1008 wrote:

Hello,

I am also experiencing this same exact issue with the up and down arrow keys for the first time. It seems to be related to recent updates with Windows 8. Any way we can get this addressed in an upcoming update?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I have only had my laptop for about 1 week. It is an HP Envy. A few days after I had been using it the up and down arrows stopped working. A day or so later, they began to work again. Now, they have stopped working once again. 

HP Recommended

Restarting the computer fixed the problem with the up and down arrow keys. It would be great to know what's causing this,  because it's is not always convenient to restart the computer. If this continues to happen on a regular basis, I hope Geek Squad will be able to fix it.

HP Recommended

I have had the HP 15 note book PC 15-r005TX 4 th generation for a year now. I've been having a couple of problems with

However, few days ago, my keyboard randomly started acting weirdly. When I would try to type certain letter/numbers, they would come out differently

I tried restarting my computer many times and installed a BiOS update which fixed all of my issues except for my up and down arrow keys. As of now, they have no function; I can't scroll with them and they don't seem to be taking on the role of another key. I have tried using the keys on different programs. Using the touch pad to scroll works but I still can't use the up and down keys.

Is there anyway to get the up and down arrow keys to work again?

HP Recommended

Hi:

Did anyone solve this issue? I have the same problem. My Up and Down Keys stop working. I fixed restarting the Laptop.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.